1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap replacement for an 05 320D?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by nc11, 6 Jan 2009.

1. wassap

PermaBanned

You'll get a nice Ghia spec Mondeo 02/03 reg for 2k, the Diesel engine is good, but as others will confirm, they are prone to Injector problems around the 100k mark.

2. Muffin`

Caporegime

Well you say you want to get rid of that cost, and have a 2k budget so that says you want a comfortable runner that's cheap as chips to buy and run, old jags and mercs only fit the bill of comfortable

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...icleYearOfManufacture=2001&vehicleRegLetter=Y

I saw that, don't know how the Auto box is but that has everything for smooth comfortable driving as long as the bushes arn't utterly ****ed.

3. Rava Benitez

Hitman

Last edited: 6 Jan 2009
  4. The Mad Rapper

Banned

At the risk of being shot down, can't you just use public transport? I'd rather get the train then sit in a **** £2K car personally.

5. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

A BMW 525TDS :D

6. Rava Benitez

Hitman

have you seen london travel prices. I'd save money travelling in every day in a 25mpg car over the train.

7. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

There are loads of cars for £2k which are great. What do you drive, I bet there is a £2k car thats better than yours for example.

8. nc11

Associate

good point but I'll need to change 3 times which is not ideal. Also, TBH, after driving for so long I dont think I'll be able to get used to public transport again...

9. Muffin`

Caporegime

The bus driver will aim for the cyclist, you can just watch

10. The Mad Rapper

Banned

An Audi A3 1.9 TDi (02).

I'm sure you're right, but I am sure any such car would come with much more expensive running costs, servicing bills etc.

It was a genuine suggestion as well, for the limited mileage he's going to drive surely public transport has to be a possibility?

11. The Mad Rapper

Banned

Fair enough, changes are a pain.

Good luck finding something you're happy with :)

12. The Mad Rapper

Banned

Yes mate, I live in Wimbledon and commute to Chancery Lane every day. My fare has increased 7% since Christmas :(

13. s0ck

Soldato

14. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

A previous shape A3. Examples of which just like yours, only without the diesel engine and perhaps older (But otherwise exactly the same car) are available for £2000.

See my point?

15. Jez

Caporegime

I'd genuinely rather drive a £200 car than have nothing at all. Plus public transport is very very limited and will leave him totally isolated. What if he wants to do something routine like going shopping for a trolley of food, or pick up a few (example) doors from B&Q.

Not having a car = ridiculous.

16. The Mad Rapper

Banned

I agree with you 100%.

In my defence however, he didn't say that he didn't have a family car. He was just talking about a work car.

If he has only got one car then you're most certainly right, you need a car for getting the shopping if nothing else!

17. The Mad Rapper

Banned

Yes, point taken.

I think we looked at the value of ours just before Christmas (we want to get a newer car this year) and it was worth around £5.5K. It wouldn't surprise me if that's fallen further since then of course :(

18. Lopéz

Man of Honour

I'd rather sit in a 2k car full of my own **** than use public transport every day :D

19. nc11

Associate

well. i think we can safely take the public transport option out of the way... which leaves us with the modeo, a rover 75 and perhaps a good s60.

thanks for the suggestions, i'll start doing the rounds on autotrader!