Cheap telephoto lense for a canon 10D ?

Associate
Hi all

First time posting here

I have just bought a cheap second hand Canon 10D,and i am looking to buy a cheap telephoto lense

Over the last few days i have borrowed my brother in laws, 75-300 IS canon lense (which i thought was excellent)
Unfortunately i cannot afford one of these, so i thought about buying the non image stabilised version.

So i switched off the IS system and subsequently couldn’t take a blur free shot at 300m LOL
So i have now ruled out buying the non IS version so....

My question is has anybody got any suggestions for a cheap telephoto lenses to get me started

Many thanks for any help you can give me

Regards

Michael

Soldato
The Canon EF-S 55-250 IS is pretty good (for a budget lens), you should be able to pick up a new one for £170.

Couple of shots with mine;

Reds.jpg

BFly.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Sigma 70-300mm macro DG? Seen them for like £60 on various auction sites, though you may need to enhance your technique to get blur free images...
If you can't without IS, then the IS lens is the only way to get them blur free my friend...

Associate
The Canon EF-S 55-250 IS is pretty good (for a budget lens), you should be able to pick up a new one for £170.

Couple of shots with mine;

Reds.jpg

Was that cropped at all? I'm looking at the same lens and shoot airshows so would be grateful of any opinion?

Soldato
hiya again
i have just checked and my camera only takes ef mount lenses
not ef-s

any ideas????

Sorry, my bad, I didn't realise yours was a full frame camera.

Was that cropped at all? I'm looking at the same lens and shoot airshows so would be grateful of any opinion?

Yes it's cropped, about 50% of the height but most of the width is there. The lense gets good reviews as a budget option and as you can see it takes some good photo's. I bought it as a kit with the 450D and 18-55 as my first DSLR so I don't have anything to compare it against. As we're going off topic drop me an email if you want to discuss this more (address in Trust).

Soldato
Sorry, my bad, I didn't realise yours was a full frame camera.

IIRC the 10D is a cropped sensor just it doesn't take EF-S lenses.

So i switched off the IS system and subsequently couldn’t take a blur free shot at 300m LOL
So i have now ruled out buying the non IS version so....

IS is going to add to the cost of any lens. I'd give it another go with IS off and up the shutter speed. You shouldn't really be getting blurred pictures if you're shooting around 1/500th of a second or higher.

Back
Top Bottom