cheaper alternative for DJM 850?

Associate
Hi i've got a DJM 850 with a computer and a television going into it (2 cd decks too but i've given up using them). The speakers i've got are connected to the DJM using XLR cables.

Because i've stopped attempting to mix music with the decks i might aswell sell it all and get a cheaper and simpler solution than the DJM.

So i'm looking to replace the DJM with something with XLR outputs for the speakers and hopefully a nice selection of inputs for anything i might want to connect, maybe even with a soundcard like the DJM has.

Does anyone know of what i should be looking at please?

Associate
OP
I've figured out i need balanced xlr outputs and it looks like another dj mixer or a studio mixer is what i'll be looking at. I've found:
Studiomaster CLUB XS 8 Channel Mixer Desk USB DSP Recorder Bluetooth Playback DJ

looks like it's got everything i need essentially

or a
Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio Interface

Last edited:
Soldato
Audio interface should do what you need. The Behringer has what looks like a good range of connections (including XLR) for what seems relatively cheap. You could pay a fair bit more for another brand and still not get XLR.

Associate
OP
It definatley suits the task, just a shame all the inputs are XLR but i could just buy adapters so not a deal breaker.

I think i prefer the studiomaster mixer because i can turn the bass up or down on any input individually (i've got a powerful sub).

Just realized that the inputs on the studiomaster are mic/mono apart from 2 :/

And the behringer's inputs are for mics/mono also so i'm totally lost now.

All i want to do is use my nice rokit powered speakers for my television and computer at the same time with the option to add other things aswell. And being able to adjust the bass on each channel would be nice. I guess i just have to get a dj mixer?

Last edited:
Soldato
The front XLR ports are combo ports and take 1/4" jacks as well, but you're right; they are mono inputs. Not really sure how common stereo line inputs are on audio interfaces.

Can't really see many interfaces with RCA line in. Most seem to have TRS line-in, which are balanced, meaning mono.

I suppose even if there were only one line-in on an interface, then you could use a RCA switch box for more inputs. Finding RCA line-in and XLR out for monitors looks pretty uncommon though, even on relatively expensive ones.

Might be a choice of audio interface with possibly one RCA line-in and TRS output for monitors (assuming there is an interface with RCA line-in), then using a RCA switch box for multiple inputs and balanced TRS to your monitors, or another DJ mixer.

Another way of doing it, would be to get a DAC with optical input (to isolate from the PC electrically), then use an RCA switch box for multiple input connections between the DAC and the monitor speakers. You'd have to use unbalanced though.

Associate
OP
The front XLR ports are combo ports and take 1/4" jacks as well, but you're right; they are mono inputs. Not really sure how common stereo line inputs are on audio interfaces.

Can't really see many interfaces with RCA line in. Most seem to have TRS line-in, which are balanced, meaning mono.

I suppose even if there were only one line-in on an interface, then you could use a RCA switch box for more inputs. Finding RCA line-in and XLR out for monitors looks pretty uncommon though, even on relatively expensive ones.

Might be a choice of audio interface with possibly one RCA line-in and TRS output for monitors (assuming there is an interface with RCA line-in), then using a RCA switch box for multiple inputs and balanced TRS to your monitors, or another DJ mixer.

Another way of doing it, would be to get a DAC with optical input (to isolate from the PC electrically), then use an RCA switch box for multiple input connections between the DAC and the monitor speakers. You'd have to use unbalanced though.

It seems weird to me that there is no interface with stereo inputs to act as a audio splitter/adjuster/interface/front end to a set of active speakers but i can't find hardly anything either. The best i've come up with is another dj mixer '
Numark M6 4-Channel Scratch DJ Mixer with USB, Rack Mountable with 3-Band EQ' or similar, but then it's not great that the crossfader/ assign functions mean that i could only ever have the television and computer sounds running at the same time and it's a bit unsightly too. Maybe i could butcher a dj mixer and rewire it etc.

Back
Top Bottom