Cheaper than buying a new Amp?

Associate
I'd like to ask, would buying a 7m HDMI cable and this DP to HDMI adapter save me buying a new Amp?
Link to adapter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benfei-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter-Gold-Plated-Black/dp/B06VV26BLB
(I can't find a long enough DP to HDMI cable and I'm not sure if the signal would degrade over that distance).

I connect my PC (GTX 980ti card) to my Sony STR-DN1040 Amp, which then connects to a 4K HDR TV.
The Amp has 4K pass through, but doesn't have any of the three types of HDR like the TV.

So instead of updating the Amp, could I use the graphics card as a "splitter"?
It has 1 HDMI port which currently connects to the AMP (for picture and sound) and 3 Display Ports, 1 goes to my monitor and the other 2 are spare.
Could I use one of the spare DP ports and the 7m cable and adapter to connect to the TV (picture) and the existing HDMI for sound (I can switch off the sound in the Amp's settings per port)?
That way, I'd get HDR content being properly displayed (i.e the TV displays the HDR icon) and I'd also get True HD sound at the same time.

My concern is, would the sound and picture be in sync and would the 30hz rating on the adapter make any different to it not being 60hz?
If I look in the nVidia settings on the PC (Win 10 Pro 64bit April 2018 Update), the TV is set at 24hz, so probably not.

Thank you very much :)

Back
Top Bottom