cheapest cooler to hit 4.5-4.8GHz on 2500k.....

Associate
CPU cooler is a bit like PSU, don't skimp on it or go the budget way. :)

I'm new to this so be easy on me ...

You say don't buy a cheap PSU, I was thinking of buying a 800 or 850 watt PSU, but how will a good PSU unit make a difference to the overal PC? I can understand your point for a good CPU cooler, but PSU I don't.

thanks

Soldato
I've decided to get the Xigmatek Gaia because the A50 (on paper) seems loud and even the Tranquillo isn't that quiet when compared to the Gaia:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2595&page=5

The Gaia on low fan speed is more affective (and quieter) at cooling, than the Tranquillo is on high fan speed.

check out mine, it's supposed to be even better, but it's not popular on this forum, probably because you cant get it here.

i did loads of research before getting it... frosty tech gives yours about 81, the Aegir gets 97, it's one of the best towers you can get, check it out, because it's gone right under the Radar, mine cost 25 quid !!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm new to this so be easy on me ...

You say don't buy a cheap PSU, I was thinking of buying a 800 or 850 watt PSU, but how will a good PSU unit make a difference to the overal PC? I can understand your point for a good CPU cooler, but PSU I don't.

thanks

2 things

firstly, 99% of the power your pc needs is 12v. good PSUs have most of the power as 12v, bad ones push loads though the other rails (5v 3.3v or whatever). so a 850w cheap PSU may have less usable power than a good 400w one.

secondly, a cheep PSU cant provide stable power. you get spikes and dips which is bad news for your overclocking and bad news for the life of your components.

when looking at PSUs, have a look at how many amps they have on the 12v rail(s), that's what matters not the overall wattage

then have a look at reviews of it and see if its quiet, stable etc etc.

edit - oh and when a PSU goes, theres a good chance it will kill other components too.

Caporegime
Is this looking right? Bearing in mind the paste hasn't cured yet:

RealTemp.png

That's an IBT run btw.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this looking right? Bearing in mind the paste hasn't cured yet:

RealTemp.png

That's an IBT run btw.

You have not overclocked your 2500K? Surely its a must!:p

60C on standard clocks is high end of average - if you are using £20+ aftermarket CPU cooler, but good if you're using sub £20 one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not going to strangle the poor thing, it's only been in the system a few hours :p

It's a £19.99 Xigmatek Gaia hopefully it will bed in a little and lower the temps some more, my only concern was how well I applied the thermal grease, I carefully spread out a tiny amount on the CPU then rubbed some into the base of the heatsink to fill the gaps between the pipes and the aluminium, then wiped the excess off.

Back
Top Bottom