Cheapest way to travel (London peoples in hare!)

Caporegime
Hey guys,

Heres the route:

Shenfield to London Liverpool St
Central Line to Holborn
Piccadilly Line to Piccadilly Circus

and then the same route home in the evening.

Be doing this daily, what's going to be cheapest. A monthly train ticket for a Shenfield to Liverpool St return is roughly £300 (I know that much)

What do we think? Not sure what the cheapest monthly option for the tube part will be, or if I can buy one ticket that'll cover all of it. I've got an Oyster card if that helps :)

Thanks all,
Jake

Caporegime
OP
You could get a monthly travelcard but zones 1-6 aren't going to be cheap any way you cut it.

I know travelling isn't cheap. Paid £3600 annually when doing it before :) - But want to know what the best way is, I'm normally a thicko that usually ends up paying way more than I have to :p

Soldato
I know travelling isn't cheap. Paid £3600 annually when doing it before :) - But want to know what the best way is, I'm normally a thicko that usually ends up paying way more than I have to :p

£1904 annually for the 1-6 travelcard option. Can't think of a cheaper way after looking at the TFL fares booklet...

Edit: Forgot the train part, sorry..

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Shenfield to London (inc Zone 1-6 Travelcard) is £3100 for a yearly ticket :eek:
Ah wicked it's gone down
icon14.gif

Ok so my best bet (until I pass the probation) is a monthly Shenfield to London travelcard inc those zones :) ?

Unless I've got it confused :p

EDIT: Be cool if I can use my oyster though, is very handy not having to get a ticket out everytime!

Associate
An oyster single fare in zone 1 only (which covers Liverpool street to Piccadilly) is £1.60 at peak rates. Over the course of one month that totals to ~£70p/m on the tube. Not sure about what's going to be cheapest on the shenfield travelling bit though. PAYG works out cheaper than the travel card over the course of the year (travelcard is £1032 p/a and assuming you travel for 52 weeks a year 5 times a week you'd spend £841 p/a).

Hope that bit helps. Though of course there might be a solution involving the shenfield -> liverpool street part too.

Soldato
Ah wicked it's gone down
icon14.gif

Ok so my best bet (until I pass the probation) is a monthly Shenfield to London travelcard inc those zones :) ?

Unless I've got it confused :p

EDIT: Be cool if I can use my oyster though, is very handy not having to get a ticket out everytime!

I can't find a season price for the outermost London zone station -> Shenfield, or I could tell you if my option is cheaper..

Soldato
Thanks Spleenus :)

From the sounds of that a monthly travel card then just topping up my oyster might be my best bet. God, confusing.

This is why I asked :p

He was saying get a rail season ticket for Liverpool St -> Shenfield, and use your oyster PAYG for the tube journey from L'pool to Piccadilly Circus.

Associate
Don't season tickets include a railcard as part of the price? I may be completely wrong as I am in the OP's position and looking at the cheapest way of commuting into central London from Chelmsford

Soldato
Don't season tickets include a railcard as part of the price? I may be completely wrong as I am in the OP's position and looking at the cheapest way of commuting into central London from Chelmsford

"Railcards

Railcard discounts are not available on Season Tickets, as these tickets are already heavily discounted."

National Rail say otherwise.

Associate
I've just had a look at this

http://www.nationalexpresseastangli.../season_tickets/mainline_season_ticket_prices

If I took the price of a season ticket from Chelmsford including the all zones london travelcard it's £364 against £301 for just rail. That makes it approximately the same as buying the rail and then using oyster PAYG. The oyster PAYG works out at approx. £70pm on top of the £300 rail only option.

It's also almost cheaper to houseshare in London and commute from there rather than from Shenfield every day, but I'm not suggesting that as an alternative. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just had a look at this

http://www.nationalexpresseastangli.../season_tickets/mainline_season_ticket_prices

If I took the price of a season ticket from Chelmsford including the all zones london travelcard it's £364 against £301 for just rail. That makes it approximately the same as buying the rail and then using oyster PAYG. The oyster PAYG works out at approx. £70pm on top of the £300 rail only option.

Suppose you could argue it saves the need to top-up regularly :p but either way works really...

Back
Top Bottom