Asus DRW-1814BL DVD rewriter
OcUK value 19" LCD
Logitech 1500 Cordless Keyboard/mouse
Norton Anti Virus

Let me know what you think &
Stay Phunky :D

Associate
OP
I do plan to OC. Something for nothiing is always good!!

He needs anti-virus of somekind. Thanks for the advise for NOD32

Sweet case/PSU recommendation. I will revise the specs for him!!

Anything else. Are the mobo's any good for OC'ing?

Associate
£813.85 ex VAT
Asus P5K P35
C2D E4300
AC Freezer pro 7
Geil 2GB PC6400C4 800MHz
EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
Deskstar 320GB SATAII x2 DITCH Buy new samsung drives T166 models
Corsair HX 520W PSU
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio DITCH If no good surround speakers HD onboard is good enough
Vista 64bit home premium DITCH With only 2gb, waste of money
Thermaltake Soprano case
Asus DRW-1814BL DVD rewriter DITCH Pioneer
Asus VW192S 19" widescreen - Debatable whether you will get the best out of GTS 22" would be better
Logitech 1500 Cordless Keyboard/mouse
Norton Anti Virus DITCH

Associate
You are right it does if you intend to upgrade to 4gb. Depends if you are building for yourself or someone else.

I have 32bit Home and to be honest I dont have any problems either gamewise or anything else. A lot of people think they need 4gb for vista which is complete rubbish.

Have read other forums where they have 4gb plus 4gb used as ready boost via a usb dongle lol

I would bet you would exceed your processor and graphics card for games before you need 4gb. Unless you need the extra memory for business applications

Associate
OP
He just wants it for basic business/home studies and BF2142 so I can kick his arse!

He has a high def 50" plasma TV but I could not convince him to use that instead of a monitor!! Hook it up to his surround sound system and it would have been wicked :p

I just think if you can future proof stuff for the same money you may as well do it!

Associate
I have a 1080p Samsung M87, use that for my pc,xbox360 and ps3. If you have the option then why not.

Perhaps you should show him the new silverstone media cases, a good wireless keyboard and mouse ( not the MS7000 ).

Guess it depends where he wants to use it and what he wants to do with it.

Lets face it an antec fusion case, Matx board would do for his needs for media centre purposes. HDMI out would suffice any HDTV. Games is a different ballpark. A silverstone case is expensive but would house the latest stuff

Soldato
Yeah lose the Soprano, awful case in my opinion, i've had one, the Akasa Zen is cheaper and nicer and i've also had that to.

I'd personally drop Norton to, worst AV i've used, NOD32 for the win, cheaper if you buy 2 licenses at once to.

Again sound card, drop that unless you really have a decent kit to make use of it, onboard sound is perfectly fine with the newer boards.

Vista should be ok if you ask me, i'd personally choose 64bit for the upgrade option, these newer boards support 4gb+ easily so it would be nice if the OS does to.

Not sure i personally like the KB and Mouse option, but thats purely down to preference, i'd personally opt for a Comfort Curve KB (£13 - £16) and any decent MS mouse. Used logi's, used zboard, and i'm sorry MS all the way for me...... even preferred my MS mouse to the G5 and Razer mice.... again this is just my personal taste as i've used the MS hardware....

Could say ditch the HDD's but again this is preference, i personally opt for Western Digital.

With the saving on switching the case, you could upgrade the Akasa PSU to, at least an Enermax Liberty as a minimum and it's modular to...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom