1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheese or not cheese?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr Badger, 22 Feb 2019.

1. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

I can't believe no one else has posted here about this, the great issue of our time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...ton-vegan-shop-cheese-labelling-is-misleading

Where do you stand?

Should they be closed down and stopped from their path of vegan evil as they attempt to ensnare good, honest dairy eating folk with their sinister plant based alternatives?

Or are you cheesed off with the milky purists and should we be saying give (vegan) cheese a chance?

2. Yadda

Mobster

I can see how "milk" and "cream" can be used as descriptions for non-dairy products, just.

But "cheese"?

Hmmm.

Why not give it its own name? If it's good then it'll sell on its own merit.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2019
  3. LuckyBenski

Soldato

Just call it GARY SHOP.

Job done. Everyone will know that it is Definitely Not Cheese then.

4. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

It's clear that the dairy companies are only brining this up to protect their sales, they wouldn't want people going off elsewhere and finding an alternative. It's been commercially available for decades, only now are they bringing it up because it's becoming popular.

So long as they state clearly that it's Vegan, then I don't see the issue.

What I don't understand however is if you can't call it cheese, then surely they should be up in arms with almond and coconut "milk" as well? Also, body butter is a thing :D

Last edited: 22 Feb 2019
  5. krooton

Caporegime

Milk is both a noun and a verb, and non-dairy milk has existing in language since approx the 1200s.

Cheese has always been a noun, only recent internet/gaming culture made it a verb.

6. Kutter

Mobster

What about cheesy peas? Best of both worlds.

7. LuckyBenski

Soldato

Are they squeezy?

8. Usher

Mobster

They will be trying to ban non dairy types of milk next, coconut milk anyone?

9. peterwalkley

Mobster

I may be stuck in the 1980's here, but vegan cheese shop in Brixton does not compute :confused:

10. Orionaut

Sgarrista

Coconut Milk has been called that since time immemorial.

By contrast, Soya "Milk" (Never tried Almond) is the Devils semen and is the most revolting thing I have ever had the misfortune to put in my mouth!

(Somebody made me some tea with it many years ago. The first sip resulted n a violent fit of vomiting all over their sitting room floor! Really! Not kidding!)

As for Body Butter.

The one that has always got me is "Baby Bottom Butter".

I have this vision of "Each 50gm pot contains the distilled essence of 2 dozen Babies Bottoms. Lovely on toast!"

:p

11. dirtychinchilla

Capodecina

Why? Some people need it (I do), some people want it (only because I need it).

12. JHeaton

Mobster

This kind of thing tends to get aimed at almond, soy, cashew, oat, rice etc. milks, but coconut milk (the canned stuff, at least, not the stuff in cartons blended with rice milk) seems to get away from any such criticism. It is kind of like peanut butter - there is no butter involved, but nobody seems to complain about that name (except in the Netherlands where, ironically, it is "peanut cheese").

Frankly I think people should be insulted by the dairy industry's claims that they would be so confused over vegan cheese not containing dairy products. How nice of them to imply that people who want to buy dairy cheese would be so stupid. :o

13. Street

Sgarrista

Calling it vegan cheese has to be better than calling it a "Flavour Block".
    [​IMG]

14. TheMightyTen

Soldato

Whoosh.........

I think you probably need to read up on your history of Brixton to understand what he said

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Brixton_riot

Unless you know how Brixton is another London area that has gone through the voracious gentrification that has wholly changed other working class boroughs of the Capital and if you are of a certain age it will forever be in your head Little Jamaica that rioted in the 80s. A vegan cheese shop in the context of the 1980s Brixton is just a little out of place in this case ;)

15. dirtychinchilla

Capodecina

Ah I see. Sorry, completely went over my head as you say!

16. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

Some great marketing ideas there. Anyone got a better name for this troublesome cheese alternative?

17. Orionaut

Sgarrista

Back then I joked about creating a platform/maze game called "Brixton"

Think something like Packman.

The idea was that you started off with a wrist watch, wallet, and a pair of trainers, and the aim of the exercise was to retain ownership of said items while negotiating the "Hood" being pursued by various enemies intent on taking them from you!

Of course, we could update the game to the 21st century by introducing a bit of additional frisson involving avoiding getting stabbed and shot at as well!

;) :D

18. TheMightyTen

Soldato

:D stop being so reasonable :p :)

Needs VR and rolled up copy of the Daily Mail as an in game defensive weapon :p

19. Randomface74

Perma Banned

If it doesn't come out of a cow and sit in a bucket for a month it's not cheese.

"cheese" is a dairy term, and that's important for people who need to avoid dairy.

20. Orionaut

Sgarrista

:cool: