Cherry and Razer switches???

Associate
My current membrane keyboard is getting progressively more temperamental on the A-L key row on start-up, I was wondering whether to upgrade to mechanical and see what makes 50-year old technology so expensive today.

I'm a bit leery about spending £8 on what would basically amount to an expensive Cherry clicker (seeing how the switches don't even appear to be powered) on Amazon, that'd literally use once and forget about. Though comparing research to my keyboard habits suggest reds would be a good fit, maybe browns if I'm feeling a bit adventurous with tactile feedback.

Is there any actual consumer-benefit to Razer making their own proprietary colour switches? I hear oranges compared to browns, and I get the impression that yellows would be comparable to reds.

But do orange/yellow switches objectively justify the (rather extreme in the case of the Chroma Blackwidow V2) brand-premium on the table, over Cherries?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sounds about eight for Cherries I guess. They must be doing something right to be enjoying such widespread attention for as long as they seem to of been around.

I have a weird love/hate with RGB as a design focus, so the polish on the blackwidow v2's colour patterns and general build really appeals to my human side's appreciation of pretty colours and patterns.

I'm not 100% sold on whether orange/yellow switches would prop the rest of the price up though.

There's a corsair strafe with red switches on sale for 40% off, which puts it almost £100 less than the widow v2. It suggests it's colours can be adjusted, but also markets it specifically as a red keyboard in the description? Not a fan of red back light.

Associate
From my experience, razer orange switches appear to give more of a tactile feedback upon click than MX Browns? I was actually disappointed by how little I felt in the browns, felt similar to my Reds.

I really want the Chroma v2 with Orange switches, which is a pain when you can find the green switch Chroma v2 for £50 cheaper currently.

Back
Top Bottom