cherry switches

Associate
So im currently using a corsair k40 which is rubber dome keys
however i did have a k70 cherry red before this but after a week or so i found it wasnt for me.. the keys were far too easily pressed and i found myself pressing keys while just resting my fingers on them, which for gaming is very bad

what i would like to know is how different are brown switches? i really want to get another k70 as i loved everything about the keyboard except those red switches.. would browns be better or are they still way too easily pressed?

rubber dome keys just feel better to me so if i could find something similar that needs similar force to press would be perfect

Man of Honour
Browns have a light tactile bump which makes it easier to tell if you are about to activate the key but IIRC they have the same actuation force required as reds. If you are more deliberate with your key presses then blues might be an option but personally I'm not a great fan of them for gaming.

Blacks require a lot more force than reds to actuate which in my experience almost if not entirely stops accidental activation but blacks aren't great (again in my opinion) for more general purpose use - but I swear by them for FPS gaming.

Associate
OP
yeah i wouldnt go near blues judging by what i have read, far too noisy
blacks would be ideal but i dont think ive seen any keyboard using them

@James lol it was happening all the time, its like you put a tiny bit of pressure on the key and its pressed..

i might just have to stick with what i have.. theres nothing wrong with the k40, i just like the quality of the k70.. if only they did it with rubber dome keys :p

Associate
OP
yeah ive seen those mionix ones.. while i do like mionix products, that keyboard looks like the old style big chunky ones

will hold onto the one i have for now i think, since as you said the brown switches arent much different or maybe pick up a another k70 with red switches down the line and try it again to see if i can get used to it...

thanks for the help + suggestions anyway

Soldato
I have identical CM keyboards, one with browns and one with reds. After switching from brown to red, I do accidentally press keys at times as the switch actuates as soon as the key moves. With browns there is a small amount of travel then a bump before actuation so I never get accidental key presses, however sometimes I don't press hard enough.

With both situations it only takes about a day to get completely used to the switch and the problem disappears completely. Neither switch has any noticeable impact on my typing speed/accuracy or gaming performance. IMO one being better than the other only comes into things if you are a competitive gamer or typer (?)

I think you'll like browns. They are similar to membrane but better in every way.

Caporegime
I personally think MX-Blacks are best for gaming. Similar to the red, linear, but with a little more resistance. I have MX-Blacks with O-rings. Very nice to type on too. :)

I've had MX-Browns and MX-Blues too, browns have a slight tactile bump which make them a nice all rounder if you do lots of typing and the occasional bit of gaming, but I prefer a linear switch for gaming.

Blues are a typists keyswitch, beautiful to type on but a total PITA and a bit of a racket to game with! :p

Soldato
Rroff;30482644 said:
Browns have a light tactile bump which makes it easier to tell if you are about to activate the key but IIRC they have the same actuation force required as reds. If you are more deliberate with your key presses then blues might be an option but personally I'm not a great fan of them for gaming.

Blacks require a lot more force than reds to actuate which in my experience almost if not entirely stops accidental activation but blacks aren't great (again in my opinion) for more general purpose use - but I swear by them for FPS gaming.

After getting my claymore core (MX reds), I retired my CM quickfire rapid (MX blacks) to work. Several of my colleagues have expensive mech keyboards (DAS, WASD etc etc mostly with MX blues). After rubbishing MX blacks for work use, they all had a go anyway. They all loved the mx blacks.

It's a shame they seem to be in such limited supply..

Associate
OP
Yeah its mostly gaming that i do anyway, i might look up some ones with black switches.. had a look on ocuk site but i dont like the look of any of them and the only one i would consider out of them would be the mionix that Rroff linked but it looks too plain and chunky

will have a look around but i think black switches is the way to go for me

Man of Honour
HazardO;30483444 said:
After getting my claymore core (MX reds), I retired my CM quickfire rapid (MX blacks) to work. Several of my colleagues have expensive mech keyboards (DAS, WASD etc etc mostly with MX blues). After rubbishing MX blacks for work use, they all had a go anyway. They all loved the mx blacks.

It's a shame they seem to be in such limited supply..

I'm too lazy to switch depending on what I'm doing but I find the actuation force required a bit fatiguing for typing plus more likely to bottom them out. For FPS gaming though I find I can perfectly ride the actuation point with pin point precision in things like fine tuned strafing in a way I don't find possible with any other type of key - anything else either I get accidental key input or doesn't respond quite quick enough under rapid changes of input.

Back
Top Bottom