Chillin' out in the old oculus home.

Associate
A few years ago, tried to find out how low a PC spec you could run a CV1 on. The then current oculus installer wouldn't work as I was running a C2Q @3GHz, 4GB ram and a 780Ti and the spec was too low.

I found an earlier installer off the interweb, probably for the DK headsets and it installed without complaining. Not the smoothest experience, but it was just a test.

Today, I fired up the old machine and connected the CV1 to it, without internet. I was transported back into the old home room on the small paved area, looking over the valley with the little infinity pool in front of me. Behind me was the kidney shaped koi pool and the open plan lounge with the pool table.
Even the transistor radio sitting on the table to the right still worked.
A great place to chill out and enjoy a glass of wine or two (Non VR) and watch the oculus blimp rise out of the mist and then slowly sink back into it.

I looked online for images and videos of the old room but there were non to be had.... strange.

Associate
OP
Pool and lounge shot. Now the hunt is on for the elusive Oculus blimp.

50875302916_0123277184_k.jpg

Soldato
There was something magical about that home area.

Been going back and looking at some of the older games and demos that came out back then. Good times :)

Associate
OP
There was something magical about that home area.

Been going back and looking at some of the older games and demos that came out back then. Good times :)

Agreed. I used to love the Christmas and Halloween themes that used to appear at the appropriate times of the year like Christmas and Halloween.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

I still can't find any other images/videos of the old home area. I thought there would be loads online.

Soldato
Agreed. I used to love the Christmas and Halloween themes that used to appear at the appropriate times of the year like Christmas and Halloween.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

I still can't find any other images/videos of the old home area. I thought there would be loads online.

You are the worlds only hope of keeping these ancient times alive!!

Change the date of your computer to Christmas and see does the theme change :)

Associate
OP
You are the worlds only hope of keeping these ancient times alive!!

Change the date of your computer to Christmas and see does the theme change :)

Hmmm, that's worth a shot.

I did record some festive video footage that's now stuck on a cheap SSD that thinks it's a cheese biscuit.

Associate
OP
'Thar she blows' For those wot have been into VR for a while, some video footageness of the old Oculus home and the blimp/airship doing its thing. And the radio right at the end

I wonder if it's possible to copy/past the old home room files into a more modern oculus install folder to re-visit the old home?

Last edited:
Soldato
'Thar she blows' For those wot have been into VR for a while, some video footageness of the old Oculus home and the blimp/airship doing its thing. And the radio right at the end

I wonder if it's possible to copy/past the old home room files into a more modern oculus install folder to re-visit the old home?

I was waiting for some commentary!!

Great video, forgot how slow that blimp moved.

Associate
OP
Something else that should make a comeback. The old avatar editor 1.0
I never bothered with the avatar but the environs were a nice place to have a mooch around with a long enough cable.

Top Bottom