Chinese gp canceled?

Caporegime
The whole of Italy might be going into Lockdown apparently. If Ferrari and Alpha Tauri haven't left yet, and if they have any sense, they should leave now.

Caporegime
The bulk of the Ferrari team with all the cars and equipment left yesterday, (Sunday 8th) higher team management including Binotto, left today.

Alpha Tauri so far are in an unaffected area, so travel restrictions don't apply to them as much, although I would suppose they have probably already left as well.

Caporegime
Given its ferrari they’ll probably be allowed to leave the quarantine.

Exactly anyone can get special exemption from the Italian Government for proven professional need for travel, so it would not have been overly difficult for the teams to leave the area.

Soldato
Well rather obviously to get said permit to travel you have to undergo various medical test to make sure you are free of the virus, that would just be common sense right ?

Don't confuse common sense with things actually happening - whole country on lockdown, but anyone can get on a plane to come or go.

Man of Honour
And another one postponed.

We're now looking at the Canadian race on June 12th-14th being the first of the year... I'm still going with unlikely to happen.

Baku City Circuit (BCC) has today taken the decision to postpone the FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2020 due to take place on June 5th – 7th.

The postponement was agreed upon after extensive discussions with Formula 1 as well as the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) and the Government of the Azerbaijan Republic. This comes as a direct result of the ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic and has been based entirely on the expert guidance provided to us by the relevant authorities.

In coming to this conclusion, BCC’s primary concern throughout has been the health and well-being of the Azerbaijani people as well as all visiting F1 fans, staff and championship participants.

BCC shares its fans disappointment at not being able to experience the pinnacle of motorsport race through the streets of Baku this June. To that end, we will continue to work closely with Formula 1, the FIA and the Government of the Azerbaijan Republic to monitor the situation with a view to announcing a new race date later in the 2020 season.

All tickets for the FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2020 will continue to be valid, without any additional formality. As soon as the new date of the Grand Prix is confirmed, all spectators will be informed accordingly about the available options, both for those who have purchased their tickets through the Baku City Circuit’s website (www.bakucitycircuit.com) and through other channels.

The thoughts of everyone at Baku City Circuit during this challenging and unprecedented situation go out to all those directly and indirectly affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

We wish to thank all our supporters, customers and partners for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you back to Baku later in the year for more unpredictable, thrilling racing action at the Home of the Street Fighters.

In the meantime, we ask you to stay safe and stay at home if you can.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...utbreak-continues.1RWvgRPIc71u9JtHft14eE.html

Soldato
OP
HI i called f1 ticket place asking for a refund and they said they are still organising stuff with the f1 organisation on what options we have in terms of refund, rebooking it etc etc as in theory, the race is "posponed" no "canceled" ......
I cant see what other date they can do the race lol..
First my travel agent, travel insurance and airline(vietnamese airways) are refusing to entertain the idea of giving me a refund for my flight as i simply could not go because
  1. Cant apply for visa's
  2. even with visa, vietnam are denying entry to the country for british citizens.
My flight was last saturday by the way..
Such a **** take these lot are and i hope the airlines, f1 and the travel agent all go bust. no remorse from me whatsoever

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52435988

France cancelled now, so at least some good has come out of all of this.

I'm struggling to see how Austria will go ahead, tbh. None of the plans address the elephant in the room that there are hundreds of people working in the factories designing components that are then to be flown around the work with hundreds more people who then need to stay in hotels, eat etc.

Man of Honour

I'm struggling to see how Austria will go ahead, tbh. None of the plans address the elephant in the room that there are hundreds of people working in the factories designing components that are then to be flown around the work with hundreds more people who then need to stay in hotels, eat etc.

I'm struggling to see how any of it will go ahead.

Associate
Email from Silverstone this morning to say if the race does go ahead it will be behind closed doors. For any one else affected they will be giving the choice of a refund or transfer to 2021 in the next two weeks.

Caporegime

Ask mechanics, staff and media to self isolate, teams charter their own flights to avoid airports, fixed microphones and no face to face interviews? It’s doable, but difficult.

Soldato
Personally I think it's silly that they're considering running so soon, while in Australia they had all the equipment and personnel there already, yet couldn't agree terms to go about racing without spectators.

Don't get me wrong, I think it was correct that they didn't run then, and there has been time to think over protocols and systems which might allay much of the risk, but I think it's nuts they're considering coming back so soon.

I can understand football to a degree. Most staff and players will hopefully reside in the countries they play in, and relatively few people need to come together (first team players, a few coaching staff, ground staff and medics), but F1 is another kettle of fish. 20 drivers, probably a minimum of 400 team personnel, another 30+ staff for Pirelli, race officials, medical staff (both in the medical centre and from local hospitals), TV crews and the marshals all the way around the track? Added to that you'll have staff coming together from probably every continent except Africa and Antarctica.

Then you've got the issue of money, the whole reason they are desperate to get back. Those tracks hosting the races, who funds those? The circuits normally fund the hosting fee themselves through ticket sales, but without that income, where is the money coming from? I've seen the likes of Silverstone and Hockenheim talking about hosting races (multiple races if necessary), but the whole reason Hockenheim was off the calendar was because they couldn't afford it... well having hundreds of thousands of spectators absent over a weekend isn't going to generate any more money!

It's just nuts.

Caporegime
Personally I think it's silly that they're considering running so soon, while in Australia they had all the equipment and personnel there already, yet couldn't agree terms to go about racing without spectators.

Don't get me wrong, I think it was correct that they didn't run then, and there has been time to think over protocols and systems which might allay much of the risk, but I think it's nuts they're considering coming back so soon.

I can understand football to a degree. Most staff and players will hopefully reside in the countries they play in, and relatively few people need to come together (first team players, a few coaching staff, ground staff and medics), but F1 is another kettle of fish. 20 drivers, probably a minimum of 400 team personnel, another 30+ staff for Pirelli, race officials, medical staff (both in the medical centre and from local hospitals), TV crews and the marshals all the way around the track? Added to that you'll have staff coming together from probably every continent except Africa and Antarctica.

Then you've got the issue of money, the whole reason they are desperate to get back. Those tracks hosting the races, who funds those? The circuits normally fund the hosting fee themselves through ticket sales, but without that income, where is the money coming from? I've seen the likes of Silverstone and Hockenheim talking about hosting races (multiple races if necessary), but the whole reason Hockenheim was off the calendar was because they couldn't afford it... well having hundreds of thousands of spectators absent over a weekend isn't going to generate any more money!

It's just nuts.

I suspect the races will be funded by the FIA and FOM/Liberty. They agree to rent the track at no cost or minimal cost so the tracks break even.

Soldato
"The Japanese, Singapore and Azerbaijan Grands Prix have been cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic."

How many have we got left? Pretty sure Mexico will be off soon as well, any others looking like obvious cancellations?

Back
Top Bottom