Poll: Chinese Grand Prix 2017, Shanghai - Race 2/20

Rate the race: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
8YhZhdz.png

Shanghai

The Shanghai International Circuit was designed as the race circuit for the new millennium. And the modern track, with its stunning architecture, has achieved its goal of becoming China's gateway to the world of Formula One racing since it debuted on the calendar in 2004.

Circuit architects Hermann Tilke and Peter Wahl on their creation: “The 5.4 kilometre racing track is shaped like the Chinese character 'shang', which stands for 'high' or 'above'.

Other symbols represented in the architecture originate from Chinese history, such as the team buildings arranged like pavilions in a lake to resemble the ancient Yuyan-Garden in Shanghai. Here, nature and technology are carefully used to create harmony between the elements.”
ma
Not only is the course remarkable for its change of acceleration and deceleration within different winding turns, making high demands on the driver as well as the car, but also for its high-speed straights. These offer crucial overtaking opportunities and give an intense and exciting motorsport experience to the spectators. The main grandstand with 29,000 seats provides a spectacular view of almost 80 percent of the circuit.

TV Times

Sky:
7TRtSSQ.png

C4:
jcStoZO.png

Track Diagram & Information
KnVT64S.png

Weather Forecast
yYdHC5B.png

2016 Onboard Lap
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/4/Onboard_pole_position_lap_-_China_2016.html

2016 Race Edit
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/4/Director's_Cut_-_China_2016.html

China Preview Quotes
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/3/f1-2017-china-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings
R5Tpatl.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
JVvLfjw.png

Practice 1
1ngzLkC.png

Practice 2
[Cancelled]

Practice 3
pg5HL20.png

Qualifying

Z0kvRQI.png

Race
90OeV3v.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Shimmy. :)

This will be a test on the overtaking this season. 160+ last year IIRC!!
A true test with a long and relatively quick corner coming onto the main straight too. It's always going to be less than last year as this (as most races) will likely be 1-stop too, but so long as a much faster car can challenge a car ahead I'll be happy.

Man of Honour
Wehrlein still injured :o

Not so much injury, it's a lack of fitness caused by being unable to train fully while recovering from the injury.

Does mean we get to see Giovinazzi in the car again. He was impressive. Especially as he'd only had Q3 before qualifying. Will be good to see what he can do with a full weekend.

Soldato
Thanks Shimmy.

I'm not expecting a record-breaking number of overtakes but hopefully more than Melbourne.

I'm hoping we'll get a good fight between Merc and Ferrari.

Soldato
Thanks Shimmy.

Lets have a bit of fun. How many over takes will there be this year? remember last year it was 161

I'm going to say 80.
Apparently last year there were 128 official overtakes (which means at the S/F line rather than the outright total and not including the first lap) which was abnormally high and nearly double the next best race last season.

I really wouldn't read anything into the 2016 numbers. Use the 2015 or 2014 numbers if you can find them (I can't without paying £15).

Soldato
And good timing Autosport, who tweeted this earlier:

chinese_gp_overtakes_autosport.jpg

So yeah, anything more than 25 official overtakes will be a relative success compared to the previous era. You can't compare it to oddity that was 2016.

Soldato
P2 looking like a no-go also due to the fog and rain. Could have a situation here where we get no quali or race if it hangs around for a few more days.

Malaysia off the calendar next year, always liked that track.

Back
Top Bottom