Poll: Chinese Grand Prix 2019, Shanghai - Race 3/21

Rate the 2019 Chinese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
WXbLMUL.png
Shanghai
When was the track built?
In April 2003, a marshland in the Jiading District of Shanghai was earmarked for Formula 1 greatness. Eighteen months and around $450 million later, the state-of-the-art Shanghai International Circuit was complete.
When was its first Grand Prix?
The 2004 season featured two new races, one of which was the Chinese Grand Prix (the other was Bahrain). If either were added to try and stop Ferrari from winning everything, however, it didn’t work – Schumacher won in Bahrain, while Rubens Barrichello triumphed in China.
What’s the circuit like?
The circuit’s pleasing form when seen from the air – it’s designed to look like the Chinese symbol for ‘shang’, meaning upwards – is equally pleasing to the drivers on terra firma. There’s a unique start to the lap as the drivers fly into the ever-tightening Turns 1 and 2, before they dart left through 3 and 4. The super-high g force Turns 7 and 8 are loved by the drivers, while the circuit also features one of the longest straights on the calendar, the 1.2km tretchhat separates Turns 13-14.
Why go?
Shanghai has expanded itself into one of the world’s most dynamic and lively cities since the start of the millennium, making it an awesome F1 tourist stop. The sprawling Pudong district is chock full of hip bars and amazing restaurants. Then when it’s time to go racing, just hop on the Shanghai Metro’s Line 11 and get off at the Shanghai Circuit stop 60 minutes later.
Where is the best place to watch?
We’re going to recommend Grandstand K, overlooking the Turn 14-15 hairpin, where you’ll be in the best seats to watch all the overtaking. Alternatively, head for Turn 6, the track’s other best passing spot, where Daniel Ricciardo sealed his 2018 win with a brave move on Valtteri Bottas. (Ricciardo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVqCf2A0KNg)

TV Times
Sky:
YlYB2vN.png
C4:
Saturday - 1pm Qualifying Highlights
Sunday - 3pm Race Highlights

Track Diagram & Information
kaKnE1z.png

Weather Forecast
Xmn2qXc.png

2018 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/4/HIGHLIGHTS__2018_Chinese_Grand_Prix.html

WDC Standings
trpzCKv.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
LcyZEFD.png

Practice 1
cRUVg8N.png

Practice 2
SWsnKcK.png

Practice 3
NxSPEGY.png

Qualifying
84qGEkF.png

Race
OcNTiJR.png

Last edited:
Soldato
This should be another decent race - should give us some further guidance as to whether this season is going to be Mercedes reliability and consistency against Ferrari's speed and engineering / strategic fragility.

It sounds strange to say of a four time WDC on race three of a season, but Vettel really needs a good weekend here. A good weekend and a good result. If I was any one of the other top four drivers (Gasly doesn't count) then I wouldn't hesitate to put my car alongside Vettel or dive up the inside of him and test his mettle.

Soldato
Okay, who thought that Lando Norris would be in the top ten at this point? And who thought that Stroll would be as high as #11?

...and Williams drivers currently running 16/17th having out performed drivers in good solid midfield teams such as McLaren, Renault and Haas. Renault should sack Ricciardo, Palmer was doing better at this stage in both 2016 and 2017! :p

Soldato
Okay, who thought that Lando Norris would be in the top ten at this point? And who thought that Stroll would be as high as #11?

Have you seen him though? He's been more abysmal this year than last. He is some way off being a good/decent F1 class driver. EDIT: To be clear, I was talking about Stroll, not Norris.

Gasly, Ricciardo, Giovanizi, and Kubica, could all do with a decent race here. Their teammates have been showing them them a clean pair of heels in the opening races.

The McLaren seems a little better this year, but the results aren't really anything better than Alsono was managing. Did anyone see anything published about Alonso's thoughts on the car after the recent test? I've not come across anything in the media.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, he's altogether much more enthusiastic about this year's car. Mind you, they've benefited from the failures of other mid-field teams.

Norris looks to have some decent race craft though.

Don
The McLaren seems a little better this year, but the results aren't really anything better than Alsono was managing. Did anyone see anything published about Alonso's thoughts on the car after the recent test? I've not come across anything in the media.

Alonso was dragging the old car up to reasonable finishes - this one would be a consistent #5/#6 (and the potential for Podiums if Merc/Ferrari have drama) this year with Alonso at the wheel imo

Soldato
I woke up for FP1 but my stupid bluetooth transmitter wasn't working from my TV so I couldn't be bothered to try and get it working so i fell back asleep.

Ferrari looked quite strong during the first hour I saw of FP2

Soldato
I'd like to see Mercedes consider different strategies for Bottas and Hamilton, to try something different and break up the Ferrari performance advantage. Perhaps it is my misperception, but I think that Bottas struggles to manage his tyres as well as Hamilton does at the same pace, and that Bottas would be better on a more aggressive extra stop strategy.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'd like to see Mercedes consider different strategies for Bottas and Hamilton, to try something different and break up the Ferrari performance advantage. Perhaps it is my misperception, but I think that Bottas struggles to manage his tyres as well as Hamilton does at the same pace, and that Bottas would be better on a more aggressive extra stop strategy.

Which would be fine if pit stops didn't take 20-25 seconds, assuming everything went to plan. That's a lot of time to find, especially when making an extra stop virtually guarantees that you're going to spend some of the race in traffic that's running older tyres than you are. Then there's also the chance of it not going to plan and maybe 35 seconds going begging, or even worse having a wheel nut go on cross-threaded and the car shedding a wheel. It's no surprise that teams try and get away with the least number of stops possible without performance falling off the cliff-edge.

Not to mention the problem of how limited the tyre allocations are now, so you'd essentially be deciding on Friday (Thursday in Monaco) that you were going to limit your running in practice in order to save an extra set of whichever compound was considered the best to run the extra stint in the race on...

It's a lovely idea, and I wish that we would see drivers and teams taking a chance on oddball strategies, but while the technical and sporting regulations are what they are we're not going to see many takers.

Back
Top Bottom