**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
I backed one of these on Kickstarter (Jelly Pro):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jellyphone/jelly-the-smallest-4g-smartphone

Basically a 2.4" 4G quad core phone with 2GB RAM 16GB ROM, Dual SIM + microSD etc. Whether I actually use it much will depend on whether they can squeeze some decent life out of that battery.

I'll keep my Galaxy Alpha or tablet on hand for when I need a bigger screen.

Really wish someone would bring out a decent 4" Android again though. Sick of every mid range to flagship phone being massive.

hux

hux

Soldato
What is the note 4 global like as a phone?

I know reviews are plenty, but can't beat asking users.

Just bought my oh one, hopefully she'll love it.

Soldato
What is the note 4 global like as a phone?

I know reviews are plenty, but can't beat asking users.

Just bought my oh one, hopefully she'll love it.

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm surprised. I bought it for my mum, but with the intention of having a play and finding out whether I could live with such a device myself first.

Short version - it's damn good for the money and I'd be quite content using it as my main phone.

For the record I've got a Nexus 6P.

Long version – more of an unboxing+ if you will:

The front looks a bit cheap (it's a sort of off white on the rose gold version). The back is nice and clean and more attractive than the front. My only real concern with the build is how slippery it is in the hand – it reminds me of a much more robust version of the Galaxy S3 plastic back. Still, it's far easier to pick up from a flat surface than the 6P (which I always found cumbersome in that regard). I ordered it with a clear rubber bumper that AliExpress offered but it is poor - it doesn't sit flush at the sides and moves around when you're using the phone - get one from elsewhere.

Size wise it feels deceptively small and light, despite having a screen only 0.2 inch smaller than my 6P. It’s also more comfortable to use one-handed than my 6P due to the slightly smaller screen size and the slightly thicker bezels - no false touches in my usage so far.

Of course, the screen isn't AMOLED like my 6P, but it's perfectly clear once you’ve removed the plastic protective film (which I guess isn't meant to be a pre-applied screen protector). Brightness isn't an issue indoors (I've not been outside with it, but it should be fine).

The off-screen buttons are a nice touch (giving back more than those 0.2 inches lost to the 6P), but it's a shame they've used Samsung's layout of back button on the right and menu/app switch on the left. You can swap this in the settings, but being off-screen buttons the icons obviously don't switch to match. It would have been better with the stock Android layout as standard.

For the camera I've only taken a few quick indoor shots, so hardly conclusive - it's quick enough, but terrible in low light, though turning the flash on results in a surprisingly sharp photo. I was expecting potatocam, and certainly without the flash it is, but with the flash it's plenty sharp enough on the phone itself (I'm sure full-size you'd start to tell the difference). I’m not going to do a photo comparison, but with the flash it’s certainly useable indoors for those photos of dinner plates. Outdoors it should be perfectly adequate for 95% of people. I haven't tried video yet nor the front-facing camera, but I wouldn't expect much from either.

The bundled charger is huge with the British adaptor attached - it sticks out from the socket by a distance. I can't comment on whether it has quick-charge capabilities or how long it takes to charge yet. Still it's standard microUSB so any old charger will work at varying speeds – shame it’s not USB-C but it’s hardly a game changer at this price point.

Software wise it will be a mixed bag. Out of the box it seems fine, but I installed Nova Launcher pronto anyway. On my ‘Global’ version it included the normal Google apps, including the Play Store, which worked fine. I think if it was for me I'd be using a custom ROM to ensure the latest Android, but for most the stock software would be fine. Out of the box it came with Marshmallow and there were no updates available - I think it was the February 2017 security patch level.

Speaking of software I checked whether the Barclays app loaded on the stock firmware, as I know it used to be very picky about phones and software from lesser-known brands, and I'm happy to say it loaded fine.

The fingerprint reader is quick - not quite as quick nor as accurate as my 6P, but not far off. My only complaint here is that on rebooting the phone (or registering too many false positives) it asks for the pin/passcode, as stock Android does, but it doesn't state why, so new users might be a bit confused why their fingerprint isn’t being acknowledged.

Last but not least AliExpress/Xiaomi included a glass screen protector in the package. It went straight in the bin as I hate the things, but some will appreciate it. I didn't try it obviously, but did hold it over the screen to see the fit - while it covered most of the phone vertically, it didn't cover the whole glass horizontally - that said it did cover the whole screen under the glass, which I guess will guard the most important part from scratches.

I'm waiting for the OnePlus 5 before deciding between that, the 3T, the Lenovo P2 or even this. It isn't as good as my 6P, especially in the camera department, and isn't as slick in that it doesn't have stock Android without the use of a custom ROM, but the battery seems much better (based on a couple of nights’ usage) but if matters dictated I'd have no hesitation in using this daily and might well do so. It really is astonishing value for money.

That said I should point out the obvious shortfall - a warranty claim is going to be hard to non-existent. It's a massive fly in the ointment, but for £123 (with the gel bumper) I’d still consider it a bargain.

For the record I didn't get hit at customs, and apparently you won't be if you order on the 20-40 days delivery from AliExpress.

hux

hux

Soldato
Thank you, appreciate the feedback.
The cheap look of the white is why I chose black.
Good job you mentioned the case and protector, I have another coming from ebay along with a nice wallet.

Oh has never got a nice present from anyone, felt I had to buck that trend.

Soldato
Got a new phone yesterday as, well, my Umi Super was being very shonky ... Picked up a Xiaomi Mi Note 2 Global version with more frequency bands than you can shake a stick at (and a Mi Band 2).

Really liking it so far (apart from MIUI which has been replaced by Nova). Quick, which it should be given the spec, and camera is pretty good even in low light.

Got it from Honorbuy as they had it discounted in their EU warehouse and it came within 24hrs DHL.

Associate
After falling 2ft off my bed, in a CASE, my Le Max 2 died :mad: no longer powers on or charges

After 20 minutes it lives! Gotta feeling this gonna happen every time i drop it now...

Soldato
I dropped my oukitel k6000 a few months back,got a lovely big crack down the screen,didnt bother me at all as it was only £80 :)

And im still getting 5 days from the battery after nearly a year !

Caporegime
im looking at a new phone. Anything to look out for? Coming from a redmi note 3 pro snapdragon one.
Ive dropped it 20 times, i use it at work (kitchen Environment) and its basically ragged to bits.

This one i promise to take more care of.

Soldato
I've ordered a Redmi Note 4. Currently have Lumia 640 which I love to bits, but with apps disappearing and Microsoft putting mobile OS to the back of the queue, I'm reluctantly switching to Android but looking forward to trying it all out.

Only think that worried me about the Redmi is that it won't be anywhere near as strong build as the Lumia. I've lost count the amount of times I've dropped my Lumia, down the stairs, outside on concrete etc, and it has survived it all without a blemish. The Redmi on the other hand from what i've see is fragile and has no glass screen protection, so it's going to have to be treated like a baby.

maj

maj

Soldato
After repeated incidents of people ringing me and it going straight to voicemail, I got a replacement SIM from EE today which will hopefully solve the issue. Had nothing but bother with EE and my Mi5. In one SIM slot, I can receive but not make calls. If I put SIM in other slot I can make and receive calls but 9/10 it will put people straight to voicemail without my phone even ringing. This would happen even when I was in same room as the other person. Tried SIM with my old phone that I had on contract and that did the same.

Edit: for those with a phone that can have two SIM cards, what slot do you have it in? I've just tried my new SIM and in slot 1 I'm back to not being able to make calls.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've ordered a Redmi Note 4. Currently have Lumia 640 which I love to bits, but with apps disappearing and Microsoft putting mobile OS to the back of the queue, I'm reluctantly switching to Android but looking forward to trying it all out.

Only think that worried me about the Redmi is that it won't be anywhere near as strong build as the Lumia. I've lost count the amount of times I've dropped my Lumia, down the stairs, outside on concrete etc, and it has survived it all without a blemish. The Redmi on the other hand from what i've see is fragile and has no glass screen protection, so it's going to have to be treated like a baby.

I have the Redmi 4 Prime (very similar to the note 4) and it's build quality definitely feels solid. I also dropped it about 2 ft, screen first, onto tiled flooring and the screen was fine. Obviously I don't want to test it properly myself but I think it should be able to handle moderate bumps.

Associate
After repeated incidents of people ringing me and it going straight to voicemail, I got a replacement SIM from EE today which will hopefully solve the issue. Had nothing but bother with EE and my Mi5. In one SIM slot, I can receive but not make calls. If I put SIM in other slot I can make and receive calls but 9/10 it will put people straight to voicemail without my phone even ringing. This would happen even when I was in same room as the other person. Tried SIM with my old phone that I had on contract and that did the same.

Edit: for those with a phone that can have two SIM cards, what slot do you have it in? I've just tried my new SIM and in slot 1 I'm back to not being able to make calls.

Whichever slot doesn't take the MicroSD card.

Apart from having VoLTE on by mistake (when I first got my other Redmi) I've never had a call issue. That does sound very annoying though so hopefully a sim change will fix it. :)

maj

maj

Soldato
Whichever slot doesn't take the MicroSD card.

Apart from having VoLTE on by mistake (when I first got my other Redmi) I've never had a call issue. That does sound very annoying though so hopefully a sim change will fix it. :)

I have two slots to pick from as mine doesn't support SD cards. I also flashed the ROM to the latest developer one last night rather than the global stable one I was using to see if that makes any difference. Will find out when I know someone has tried to ring me.

Soldato
I have the Redmi 4 Prime (very similar to the note 4) and it's build quality definitely feels solid. I also dropped it about 2 ft, screen first, onto tiled flooring and the screen was fine. Obviously I don't want to test it properly myself but I think it should be able to handle moderate bumps.

That sounds reassuring, i've ordered the bump case and tempered glass for extra protection.

maj

maj

Soldato
So EE replacing my SIM hasn't fixed the problem. My partner tried to phone me last night and it went straight to voicemail. Based on http://willmyphonework.net/ my Mi5 may work with Band3-1800MHz, Band7-2600MHz on EE. How do I check what band I'm using?

02 is Band3-1800MHz only. Vodafone is Band7-2600MHz only so I'm probably on the best network provider already however that wouldn't explain why on my previous SIM, calls would go straight to voicemail even when I put it on my old phone that I had on contract with EE.

What network provider are you's using?

Back
Top Bottom