**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
Is it necessary to unlock the bootloader to use ADB? I keep getting error messages including 'The device is temporarily restricted'.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 - Just in case this helps someone else I finally figured it out, I must be extremely stupid as I eventually realised that it was a permissions problem.

To enable 'Install via USB' and 'USB debugging' from Developer Options you need to connect to the mobile network rather than Wi-Fi and also be signed into your Mi Account to allow the necessary permissions to be granted. Additionally 'Turn on MIUI optimization' needs to be disabled and the phone rebooted and not forgetting to change the default battery charge notification to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).

Probably obvious to people who use ADB on a regular basis but I'm too embarrassed to say how long it took me to work this out.

Underboss
not received my phone case yet, so i'm not adding the sim until I get that, then i can take it to work

just done a side to side comparison with my moto x play (batteries)

and i charged both to 85 percent and then unplugged them and left them
hours later my Chinese phone is still saying 85% where as the moto x is under 80%

bit of a play and my moto x is saying 76%, Chinese phone is saying 83%

I knew the moto x would go down as the battery is knacked
but i didnt expect the chinease phone to still be so high

moto x has a 3400 mAh batter

Redmi Note 4 has a 4000 mAh battery but on a snapdragon 625 not a 615 on the moto

Associate
not received my phone case yet, so i'm not adding the sim until I get that, then i can take it to work

just done a side to side comparison with my moto x play (batteries)

and i charged both to 85 percent and then unplugged them and left them
hours later my Chinese phone is still saying 85% where as the moto x is under 80%

bit of a play and my moto x is saying 76%, Chinese phone is saying 83%

I knew the moto x would go down as the battery is knacked
but i didnt expect the chinease phone to still be so high

moto x has a 3400 mAh batter

Redmi Note 4 has a 4000 mAh battery but on a snapdragon 625 not a 615 on the moto

The battery in RedMi Note 4 SD is amazing. Best part of the phone.

Associate
ZcwYlmm.png

Anyone noticed the Stag icon in the Notification Bar on their Xiaomi Note 4? It only appears at random times and I'm not sure whether it's connected to a downloaded theme.

Also noticed that The UK is now selectable for the Region after downloading an update recently.

Underboss
not seen the stag, but my phone is off whilst i await my case to arrive

as for the UK region, yes, i got that straight away when i received my phone, it said there was an update, and i checked the regions to check if i could select the correct one

Underboss
im hoping to not send it back. The reason why i ordered it with DHL courier was to get it FAST, as my phone is dying. i cant afford to send it back to China, them to examine in, then wait again, it wont be here till spring !!
but to be honest, its only a little scratch on the back which im not too concerned as its going in a good case when i get it, so it will be covered up anyway

I hope they will offer some money back

Soldato
Ok. Been following this for sometime now. So a question I would like to pose to you all. Or two or three:

How do you feel about not having NFC?
Is Wifi AC important to you, or are you happy with 802.11n, so long as it can use 5GHz?
What would you say is more important: battery life or camera?
What is the ideal screen size? (As in full bezel-less display)

The reason I ask these is because I am researching like a mofo on what phone to get next. I have an LG G4 and have had it for nearly 2 and a half years. But I just feel I want something different now. It has NFC and 802.11ac. But if I can get away with a really good battery and good enough camera and FHD display, then all good. I'm still leaning towards the Lenovo P2 as it does seem like the ideal phone. But I'm happy to listen to suggestions/recommendations. I've been on GSMArena, Aliexpress and Kimovil to get a good idea on what I would like.

Thanks in advance. :)

Soldato
I can't remember the last time I used NFC and the WiFi on every Xiaomi phone has been brilliant, same as all the radios built-in, it's annoying that you can't use wireless payments but it's something I would not use a phone for as I don't trust things like that.

Associate
I'm in a similar research heavy mode and am monitoring this thread too. Battery life / camera is a personal preference in my opinion, as are a number of other features. For me camera is pretty important, battery life less so as long as it can last a day (other priorities for me are 64gb/128gb ROM, ideally plus micro SD expansion. 32gb ROM could maybe live with but get tired of constantly deleting apps and clearing cache etc on my 16gb SGS5, want to future proof somewhat!). Hence I've half ruled out the P2 as it has a pretty poor camera, comparatively to others at its price point (so I've read anyway). But then I'm starting to get the impression cameras are generally where budget / cheaper mid-range phones fall down, and am starting to think last year's upper mid-range / flagships may be the way to go, albeit for a bit more cash. But then they're not necessarily ticking all the boxes either... it's a hard call!

I've got a full spreadsheet going of various aspects, RAG rated / scored, as it was all getting too confusing! And I still have no idea what to get, and whether spending more on last year's better phones would be worth it over this year's budget / lower mid-range phones. But my SGS5 has started really struggling in the last couple of weeks so may have to just make a decision.

Back
Top Bottom