**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
Looks great, and if I was looking for a phone for myself I'd be right on it! Think it's a bit much for what my mum needs though, and I think 5.5" screen would be a bit too big too.
RedMi 4X global is hard to beat for the money if you want 5". Just make sure to buy the global version.

Like this one
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/328...PU-13MP&spm=2114.13010608.0.0.rG1Qh0#autostay

Or this
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/328...4100mAh&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.vULUhI#autostay

Last edited:
Associate

I'm the same Bellboy as is posting on that deal (1631, not the s fraudster) who has ordered one, and there're a few concerns that this hasn't progressed beyond 'processing' for buyers so far on the order. Plus concerns that the chinese equivalent of black friday on 11/11, coinciding with the purported dispatch date of these, means it won't be received much before Christmas in reality. If at all, given it's gearbest. After a lot of searching I'm really looking forward to getting this (it supposedly compares favourably to an SGS7), but getting concerned about the delays (the product page keeps pushing back the expected dispatch date as well).

Guess if you go for this one then just bear in mind you may not receive it quickly. And maybe get gearbest insurance so they can't mess you around if something goes wrong.

Oh and the code has expired I believe (although there's another one which takes it down to £185).

really selling this aren't I!

RaV

RaV

Associate
The supplier Hong Kong Goldway is meant to do tax free delivery to Europe.
I've just ordered a MI 5s from The Solution Shop. I will make a post about delivery time ect when it arrives.
Both of these were the recommended sites from the Xiaomi subreddit.

To update: Ordered on 22nd Oct, Shipped on the Thur 26th. Delivered to Ireland with DHL on the Tues 31st. Seems they get it to the UK first and sort out any tax issues.
So can easily recommend. Busy eyeing up the Mi Note 3 for myself now.

Soldato
After seeing the lag in Andys review on the A1 I've been put off by it.

I can't remember the moto G5 being this bad with similar specs.

Is this because Xiaomi, or cheaper CPU, or Andrond isn't optimised yet?
I'm wondering if this lag will get fixed with android updates in the future, no specific Xiaomi updates right as it is just running stock Android correct?
Also, cheaper CPU, but still a damn decent one right? Seems odd that it shouldn't eat up and run Android just fine, as it is pure android so as good as it gets?
So many questions... I want to buy it but also want to wait for Redmi Note5, but also want to orders soon!

Associate
I'm wondering if this lag will get fixed with android updates in the future, no specific Xiaomi updates right as it is just running stock Android correct?
Also, cheaper CPU, but still a damn decent one right? Seems odd that it shouldn't eat up and run Android just fine, as it is pure android so as good as it gets?
So many questions... I want to buy it but also want to wait for Redmi Note5, but also want to orders soon!

From what I have heard the cam issues are mostly about software. I understand if people stay out of A1 cause of the video lag. Even the Note 4 video seems much better.

I would wait for RedMi Note 5 if you can.

RMN4 is much better than RMN3, still cheaper. I think RMN5 will take another step. You can expect it to be launched in January.

I didnt have the time to wait so bought RMN4. Great phone unless you are picky about loading times in games and low light camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Could someone kindly recommend a phone for my Mum?

She currently has a Samsun Galaxy Trend 2 Lite with 4” screen, it’s very slow and not good at all. She’d like something not too much bigger. Can anyone recommend one that will work on Plusnet UK, say around £100?

This one looks alright, but not sure it will work, can it be updated etc? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...3.0&pvid=7341912f-3117-47e9-88e4-d92d5abe404b

Could anyone link to something no bigger than that one.

Thanks

Soldato
My miA1 will do for a year or 2 until I can saved up for an expensive midrange (is that an oxymoron?) phone.
How's the android experience on that?

I'm running Lineage 14.1 which is stable. I don't like the updates though, it's showing me 14 updates that I have to down load and install one by one, that's annoying.

Soldato
@Nick1881 We just got my Mum a Xiaomi Redmi 4X (Global Edition) which is 5.0" and was around ~£100 when we got it (from Gearbest). It's a Snapdragon 435 which is a lower spec than I would want for myself but with her basic usage it is fine. You'd need to check frequencies though to make sure the Global Edition is ok on her provider.

Soldato
@Nick1881 We just got my Mum a Xiaomi Redmi 4X (Global Edition) which is 5.0" and was around ~£100 when we got it (from Gearbest). It's a Snapdragon 435 which is a lower spec than I would want for myself but with her basic usage it is fine. You'd need to check frequencies though to make sure the Global Edition is ok on her provider.

Thanks, have also ordered the 4X from Gearbest, it said International version, the Global version isn't available, hopefully it's the same thing. Went for the 2Gb version, should wipe the floor with what she has now.

Associate
Thanks, have also ordered the 4X from Gearbest, it said International version, the Global version isn't available, hopefully it's the same thing. Went for the 2Gb version, should wipe the floor with what she has now.

Often need the Global version for the full LTE band support (e.g B20). Lack of B20 can't be fixed by ROM flashing. B20 is used by O2 (+ others).

Soldato
Yeah, Global versions (in Gearbest parlance at least) tend to mean the official Global release with additional frequency support, always check this, whilst international version frequently means the Chinese version flashed with a global rom so lacking in frequency support. A quick look shows the International version lacks bands 4 and 20 which the global edition has.

Caporegime

My MiA1 has no lag what so ever so it must be a software problem on his phone. Only problem I have is when connecting to AUX in my car and turning volume to max it can get quite crackly although turning the volume down two notches and up in the car solves this.

Associate
My MiA1 has no lag what so ever so it must be a software problem on his phone. Only problem I have is when connecting to AUX in my car and turning volume to max it can get quite crackly although turning the volume down two notches and up in the car solves this.

I have Xiaomi Note4 and don't have that lag either. Btw, I am on vacation right now and has played around more with the cam. I took some low lights shots and video last night and was very impressed by the results. The low light has definitely improved since Note 3.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh cool, I guess in the background an app could be syncing, or a file scan or something, could cause lag semi randomly slightly.
I'm going to wait for a good sale on 11.11 (remembrance day) and order then.

Is it just a plain clear silicone case that it normally comes with in those bundles, is it any good?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom