**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
I tried to root my wife's Note 4 and as expected bricked it. Now trying to find out if it's possible to unbrick it. When powering on all I see is the Mi logo or alternatively when I boot into Fastboot it just sticks there.

Soldato
Oh have I got a Note 4 then ?

No idea what you have got ... just saying I have had it on my Redmi Note 4 and not on my Redmi 4X ... and I have told the latter to check (in fact when it checked last Friday it decided to actually update to new MIUI 8 stable rom rather than to MIUI 9). To be honest it's a bit of a pain as I could do with it coming through on the 4X before the end of next week as it's a new phone for my Mum and that's when she's getting it ....

Associate
Let me know how you find it after a few days im undecided between this the doogee mix and the maze alpha.

If any one has had either of the other two what are you thoughts on them?

No issues really with the phone, only let down really is the speaker but I use some bluetooth ones with it now. Still love the screen compared to my old iPhone 6s, waiting now for my iPhoneX so will see if I keep it as a second phone.

Soldato
OP
Glad to see my thread still going well!

Thought my Redmi Note 4 had had it - classic usb port being a pain, then I broke the pins trying to clean it.

Luckily found out the phone has a separate easily replaced USB charging board - £6 and 5 minutes with a tiny screwdriver and my phone lives, result!

Associate
I've recovered it. I found a guide that not only explained how to unbrick it in language I understood it also had links to all the files I needed to do it in one place. I'm going to go through his guides to see if he's also done one on how to root and install a ROM and hopefully this time everything will be explained in sufficient detail that I don't screw it up again.

I've said this before but the vast majority of sites assume that you have some knowledge of rooting before you start so don't bother explaining the detail.

Associate
My new phones been stopped at customs. Yippee another 33% on the price.
I bet they give me a nice admin charge too.

Depends whether they open it and what value is declared. Mine was described as an mp4 player and a value of around $21 and I paid around £11 total charges. Import VAT is liable at 20% and depending on who the shipper is could be between £8-15 handling charge.

Associate
Glad you sorted it out.
A good guide here http://en.miui.com/thread-482304-1-1.html
For rooting.http://en.miui.com/thread-539883-1-1.html.

If you do root it make sure you get TWRP installed and take a full back up and then you can install it if you run into problems.

Thanks for the guides, I've probably read that particular rooting one already and one of the links causes a warning about a dodgy site (as do many of the links in the MIUI forum).

The only steps I've been able to do so far (apparently successfully) are unlocking the bootloader, ADB (already installed) and installing TWRP (but not sure whether the version I have is the right one out of the hundreds of links available).

It's after that where things go more wrong. I assume the superSU I installed was the right version but who can tell and I have no idea what it does or even whether I need it and the Resurrection Remix ROM was probably the wrong one but because everyone assumes you know what you're doing and I don't I've no idea whether it is or not.

I should point out that I'm on an extremely high dosage of codeine pain killers every day so my thinking process is vastly slowed down/non existent which doesn't help.

My wife now has my other Samsung Galaxy Note 4 instead of the Redmi one so at least she has a Note 4 at the end of the day.

Associate
At least I have the right version of RR then although I've only just realised it doesn't come with Google and I also need to download GApps and then find out how you install that.

After TWRP is installed and the phone backed up does that mean you can still use it normally with the stock OS until a new ROM is flashed?

Soldato
You download and flash gapps with TWRP mate same as the rom. Yes you can just use it as it is, all you have done is make a backup in case anything goes wrong, you can then flash back to it.

Gapps for RR http://opengapps.org/?api=7.1&arch=arm64 I would go with the micro package so all the google cack you don't use dosen't get installed lol.

A video on how to flash a rom with TWRP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaAMUmmktnc

Associate
Thanks again. I appear to have successfully rooted it and also installed lazyflasher and superSU although I've no idea why (the instructions said I had to).

I had to flash TWRP twice as after the first time I rebooted instead of the TWRP screen I got the Mi Flash screen which is presumably from when I recovered it in the early hours. The Root Checker App tells me 'Root access is properly installed on this device' anyway.

I assume I need to download the ARM, 7.1, Super GApps package and I also assume I could delete any of the Google stuff I don't want later rather than just disable it as I normally do?

Soldato
Pretty much if your rooted you can delete anything so be careful lol and if you want the RR package the arm 7.1 are the ones. I always go for the smallest package and just install what I use but thats just me.

Associate
That Resurrection Remix ROM despite it saying it's for a Redmi Note 4, Snapdragon, 32GB fails with an Error 7. After looking at the contents of the package it turns out its for a ZTE Axon 7. Although I've found you can tweak the installation package I don't want to risk it/waste more time.

Can someone please suggest a ROM that's close to stock Nougat for the Redmi Note 4 that they're actually installed?

Currently restoring from a backup.

Great: It looks like you need to remove the password before doing the backup so now I can't unlock it and will need to wipe it and start again. Don't you just love guides that just assume you know what you're doing.

Edit: Now found out how to delete the password from the backup so back in again.

Last edited:
Soldato
What has a password? and why did they link a rom for a completely different phone idiots on the XDA link it said it was for the note 4. Try Mokee ROM or Linage OS both pretty much stock android.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom