**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Caporegime
I use the Maze Alpha along with my iPhone in Japan for 2 weeks, what I found is this.

1 - GPS location is slow, REALLY slow, so slow in picking up where i am I gave up using it and turn the phone into a wifi hub so my iPhone can hotpot into it and use my iPhone 6.
2 - The Battery life is great, the days that some reason Hotspot didn't work on the Maze Alpha so couldn't use my iPhone, the Maze Alpha can easily last a whole day.
3 - It's quick enough, easy enough to use.
4 - Fingerprint sensor is not that good, it keep not reading my finger, because of the all glass the phone gets really mucky, much more than my iPhone and for the "muck" would stop me unlocking the phone.
5 - I was glad to have it though because I can change the APN for the sim in Android but can't figure out how to do that with the iPhone.

In the end, it did what I intended it to do, served me well in Japan but the really BAD GPS location lets it down, to the point that I don't think I can use it as a daily.

Last edited:
Associate
I use the Maze Alpha along with my iPhone in Japan for 2 weeks, what I found is this...

4 - Fingerprint sensor is not that good, it keep not reading my finger, because of the all glass the phone gets really mucky, much more than my iPhone and for the "muck" would stop me unlocking the phone...

You may already have tried this but I register the same finger for the sensor 3 or 4 separate times. I've found that you generally get a more reliable unlock doing this.

Caporegime
Few weeks with my M1 A1

Smaller battery is fine. I'm still getting a full day out of mine how I use it.
I was initially unhappy with stock android but now I'm like, whatever.
Few niggles with sound controls I often find I've muted ringtones and I have no idea why.
Rear camera is ok, still budget slow though.
I use Bluetooth a lot and this is lightning fast, connects almost instantly, something the redmi note 3 was slow at.
It's an ok phone for <$200 you're getting your monies worth. Xiaomi impress, yet again. Id like to try one of their flagships.

Caporegime
MTK chip strikes again.

Honestly, the dot would not move for ages, because I was using it to see where I am on the map when I was on the Shinkansen to judge how far I am away from the next stop, it was just useless. It would put me 25miles out.

When walking, it does not track direction of travel and where it places me could be about 50 metres away so I’m not even sure the dot in screen is my exact location.

Whereas the iPhone is very accurate, almost to the nearest few feet. The android became my backup phone, when some reason hotspot wasn’t working the one day I had to use it but generally speaking I found the iPhone a much more stress free experience in terms of GPS.

RaV

RaV

Associate
I bought a Mi Note 3 a few weeks ago. Must say I'm really impressed!
Obviously the lack of band 20 with be an issue for some, not a deal breaker for me in Ireland.

While not a full flagship like the Note 2 was. Its basically a Mi 6 with a 5.5 inch screen and a Snapdragon 660. I must say the 660 is a solid chipset.
After 3 years with a OnePlus One, the Note 3 flies along and is also crazy efficient. It would be great if more mid range phones started using this instead of the 625s that seem to be used a lot currently.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got my Mi A1 yesterday. It's brilliant! The camera is far better than I expected, even in low light (don't get me wrong, it's no Pixel 2, but it's far from poor). I've not tested video yet, but to be fair I don't expect it will amount to much. Even compared to my OLED Nexus 6P the screen is bright and vibrant and the fingerprint scanner is instant. The phone feels compact, despite the 5.5" display, and it's really light in the hand. It feels speedier than my 6P too, though that has never been wiped.

I'm not being sensationalist when I say that the only negatives I've seen so far are that the speakers don't face forwards and how slippery it is; it needs a case.

It's brilliant, and not just when you factor in the price.

Soldato
The Redmi 4 might have only been a 435 with a 5" 720p screen but it was actually very usable despite that (my Mum has one). Yes it was no Note 4 but it was a good basic smartphone.

I suppose the question here is whether there will be a Note 5, wasn't there a rumour about a month a go it would be announced 10/12?, or whether that position will be taken by the Redmi 5 Plus (which is supposed to have a bigger battery than the straight 5) in a similar way to the rumoured Mi 6 Plus which was never released but seemed to become the Mi Note 3 ...

There was a MIUI Forum last night which had more pictures of the 5/5+ in different colours (IIRC pink, gold and pale blue as well as black). Full specs should be interesting.

Associate
The Redmi 4 might have only been a 435 with a 5" 720p screen but it was actually very usable despite that (my Mum has one). Yes it was no Note 4 but it was a good basic smartphone.

I suppose the question here is whether there will be a Note 5, wasn't there a rumour about a month a go it would be announced 10/12?, or whether that position will be taken by the Redmi 5 Plus (which is supposed to have a bigger battery than the straight 5) in a similar way to the rumoured Mi 6 Plus which was never released but seemed to become the Mi Note 3 ...

There was a MIUI Forum last night which had more pictures of the 5/5+ in different colours (IIRC pink, gold and pale blue as well as black). Full specs should be interesting.

It probably was RedMi 5.

There are so many fake photos, renders and videos of RedMi Note 5 that it isnt even funny.

Caporegime
I got my Mi A1 yesterday. It's brilliant! The camera is far better than I expected, even in low light (don't get me wrong, it's no Pixel 2, but it's far from poor). I've not tested video yet, but to be fair I don't expect it will amount to much. Even compared to my OLED Nexus 6P the screen is bright and vibrant and the fingerprint scanner is instant. The phone feels compact, despite the 5.5" display, and it's really light in the hand. It feels speedier than my 6P too, though that has never been wiped.

I'm not being sensationalist when I say that the only negatives I've seen so far are that the speakers don't face forwards and how slippery it is; it needs a case.

It's brilliant, and not just when you factor in the price.

I think the camera has had an update because it is a million times better than when I first got it.

Soldato
Xiaomi MiA1: Is the charger it comes with pretty pants? Or is it the cable? Or does it just not really support any type of fast charging?
It charges a bit faster from my Xiaomi USBC laptop charger than it does the standard 2Amp charger it came with, so might do more with a monster cable and charger setup?

Back
Top Bottom