**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
My Redmi Note 5 arrived:
1xp2Cjs.jpg

I can't believe how good this phone is considering the price. MIUI is kinda crappy but hopefully with the release of the Oreo kernels now, a stable LoS or RR ROM will come out.

Soldato
I have a VKWorld S8 and it decided to power off during a call today, and now won't turn on, nor does the LED come on to indicating it's charging

Any ideas on how to recover? I have tried the old volume button + power button for a prolonged period...

Cheers

Associate
My Redmi Note 5 arrived:
I can't believe how good this phone is considering the price. MIUI is kinda crappy but hopefully with the release of the Oreo kernels now, a stable LoS or RR ROM will come out.

Hi, if you could tell me if this model (is it the globol ROM version) works with all the 4G bands for the UK networks?

Also if you could please provide a link to were you brought it from, thanks in advance

Associate
Associate
This thread just cost me £400 :)

Been reading and debating between various models over the past few weeks and days and was all set to spend £350 on the Nokia 7 Plus, but this phone seems much better value and specs. It's not vanilla Android that I would prefer but I'm prepared to live with those shortcomings.
Mine arrived yesterday evening,had a bit of a play with it,and impressed so far.

Associate
Mine arrived yesterday evening,had a bit of a play with it,and impressed so far.

Yea, at the end of the first week for mine. Really like it, obviously a massive step up in specs from the Moto G5 it replaced, so subjectively feels even more of an upgrade because of that.

I like some of the customisations to Huawei's version of Android, including the configurable navigation dock, mini-screen swipe for one handed mode, transitions for the home screen and smart rotate mode (phone tracks you face to remain in portrait mode even when sideways - it's awesome). And face unlock is one of the best new Android features in a while. The worst thing about this version of Android though is the extra software 'bloat' it installs. Apps for notes, email, app stores, music, video etc. that I'll just never use. Also the launcher is a bit messy with inconsistent icons. Loads of new Android Oreo circular icons mixed with ones for Huawei's settings or phone dialer than look like they are from years ago. I know some of that is easily remedied through another launcher or themes.

However it's a great balance of price and spec and overall I'm happy with my purchase.

Associate
Why on earth does the Redmi Note 5 use Micro USB instead of USB-C!?

Yeah it's annoying. If it had USB-C I'd give it a 10/10. Maybe a niggle but I wish the notification LED was RGB instead of white as well.

Still, after almost a week of using it, I think I'm sitting at 9/10 for the phone. I still can't believe how good it is for the money.

Soldato
Yeah it's annoying. If it had USB-C I'd give it a 10/10. Maybe a niggle but I wish the notification LED was RGB instead of white as well.

Still, after almost a week of using it, I think I'm sitting at 9/10 for the phone. I still can't believe how good it is for the money.

The quality for the price is mad, I have been using Xiaomi phones for at least 5 years and everyone is still working after I sold them on and up graded. They have flaws but for the money I don't think you can complain.

Back
Top Bottom