Chocolate

Soldato
<interesting>

American chocolate is sour because back in the old days when they didn't know how to make milk keep all year, milk was seasonal. For large parts of the year, you couldn't get fresh milk. The British (yeah!) invented a way to combine cocoa and fresh milk to make a substance called 'crumb', which would keep all year round. When milk was fresh, they made loads of crumb, and then made the chocolate from the crumb throughout the year. Therefore, the chocolate was the same all year round as though it had been made from fresh milk.

The Americans didn't figure this out, and just used sour milk in their chocolate. So they had sour chocolate.

Obviously, today, you can get fresh milk all year round. However, the US pallate had become so accustomed to the sour flavour of chocolate, that they now add it in. Today, they deliberately make their chocolate sour.

</interesting>

Soldato
continental chocolate. Far more cocoa and less sweet...

cadburys and stuff is good for a sugar hit and a quick munch. but nothing like the stronger less sweet chocolate for a proper piece of heaven.

+1

Does anyone know the actual cocoa content of a standard Cadbury's bar of chocolate?
It tastes far too sweet for me now.

CBJ

CBJ

Associate
Cadbury's Dairy Milk has a pretty low cocoa content (less than 20% I think). The higher cocoa content stuff is more of a luxury item to be savoured in small quantities. The highest I've had is 99% cocoa which virtually inedible. 90% cocoa chocolate is about my limit; it's just barely sweet but still has the velvety texture when it melts.

Soldato
I like any good 70% cocoa chocolate. But I'll much on a yorkie or a bit of cadburys, they're two completely different foods to me.
From my experience american chocolate is terrible, sweet and chemically, theres actually quite a bit of business over there importing things like cadburys and galaxy and such.

Associate
I did't like Hershey's choclate much either. It's been a while since i tried it, but as weird, and unpleasant.
Favourite chocolate has to be Galaxy :)

Soldato
I like the really dark stuff you know the 70% minimum cocoa bean stuff.... hmmm...

for the UK's "chocolate" (are they still getting away with calling it that?) Mars confectionary is the best. Followed by Nestle then cadburys...

Caporegime
Even cadbury in America tastes like sick, probably because it's licenced to be made by Hersheys.

Anyway those slating Cadburys milk chocolate, as I mentioned in the other thread Cadburys invented the chocolate bar so they should know what it tastes like. Something to remember the next time the EU want it renamed. :p

Back
Top Bottom