Choose me a houseplant

Associate
I would like a plant in my bedroom, maybe a few if I can't choose just one. No particular reason, I just want one.

Now I want one that's fairly easy to take care of, but that looks good, and maybe does something interesting. I've got no idea where to start. Last time I wanted a plant I went to Homebase, picked a nice looking one, it turned out it was an 'advanced' plant that needed proper TLC and it died.

Any plant connoisseurs?

Soldato
cactus ***

Most require FA maintenance, apart from the occasional watering.

EDIT: why did for the win get starred out automatically?

Last edited:

Bes

Bes

Soldato
shifty_uk said:
Bonzai? (sp?)
Bonsais are insanely cool but need LOTS of TLC. A lot of the indoor ones can die quite easily. I have a Serissa which is strictly an indoor tree, but its looking a bit tired at the moment, and a Chinese Elm, which is also meant to be an indoor tree, but it loses all its leaves every time I bring it in, so it lives (very happily) in the garden. :)

John Lewis do some quality indoor plants, expensive though... Ikea do that bamboo stuff everyone is buying at the moment. All you do is slap it in water and it grows- Looks quite nice too IMO.

Soldato
Zip said:
They are real and i killed 2 of them :o

Dont keep feeding them flys until all their moths are full :o

venusflytrap005.jpg

KaHn

Soldato
Tillandsia (Airplants) - I used to have some, just mist them every now and again. Thats about it, once in a while you can immerse them in water but a lot of the common ones don't really need it.

Soldato
Bes said:
Bonsais are insanely cool but need LOTS of TLC. A lot of the indoor ones can die quite easily. I have a Serissa which is strictly an indoor tree, but its looking a bit tired at the moment, and a Chinese Elm, which is also meant to be an indoor tree, but it loses all its leaves every time I bring it in, so it lives (very happily) in the garden. :)

John Lewis do some quality indoor plants, expensive though... Ikea do that bamboo stuff everyone is buying at the moment. All you do is slap it in water and it grows- Looks quite nice too IMO.

If your tree is looking tired, maybe look into hibernating it for a few months as most bonsai trees need that or else they run out of steam and basically die.

Associate
qwerty said:
I might go for that on the side. I understand its quite tricky though. Meh, worth a shot, probably expensive though.

Really cheap actually, and lots of hydroponics centres open now selling kits.

Seeds are easy to acquire too.

Associate
OP
Mike said:
Really cheap actually, and lots of hydroponics centres open now selling kits.

Seeds are easy to acquire too.

Ive done the second step before the first, just dont know what to do now.

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to talk about this on here though. I'll have to look through the internet and find out on my own :(

EDIT: Geez, hydroponic kits cost £150 upwards! I wasn't thinking of spending that much at all...

A pot of soil and a light methinks.

Soldato
I've got a fair few plants in my room... I think I'm turning into my mum with an obsession for plants, only just realised I've got so many!

The easiest to look after are probably Yukkas and Cacti, I've got a few of those and they only need watering like once every couple weeks, they're really hard to kill.

I've also got some sort of white flower plant, a papyrus plant and a bromelia plant, they need a bit more watering/fertilising but are still pretty hardy:)

Back
Top Bottom