Chord Mojo

Associate
Hi all, I’m thinking of picking up a Mojo and wondered if anyone here has experience with this dac and would share their thoughts :) I like the portability of this dac, I could hook it up to the living room NUC, the office PC, my laptop, use it in the camper van etc etc.

I listened to one a few years ago when I was looking for something portable ( ended up with a Questyle QPR1 ) and was impressed by its performance but would have another listen before buying.

Anyone have any opinions?

Associate
Overall it's okay. You can get better sound from a Modi 3 + Magni 3/Vali 2 or SDAC + Liquid Spark for almost half the price though.

Mojo is compressed, lacks dynamics but warm and extended at both ends and a little weird in the treble. I like the Mojo for some headphones but it's overpriced.

gEd

gEd

Associate
Isn't it advised against doing it in the instructions ?

We recommend charging with Mojo switched off. Charging with Mojo switched on and playing is possible, but the time taken to fully charge will be considerably longer and depending on volume level and headphone load the battery. It is possible that, when using headphones of high load, the battery may take extremely long to fully charge. It is normal for Mojo to become warm when charging especially if switched on and playing at the same time.

gEd

gEd

Associate
Do any of you use it solely as a desktop amp? Are there any downsides? I kind of wish they would release one without a battery.

If you mean to drive speakers and use as a DAC only (not headphone amp), I don't think it's the perfect device.
To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.

When driving my Harman Kardon Sound Sticks, I found the 3V output too high (2V is more typical) and this caused some distortion which I was able to fix by reducing the gain (in the digital domain) in the Roon playback software that I use.
As a portable headphone DAC, I am not sure if there is anything better. You need to decide what features are most important to you.

Soldato
We recommend charging with Mojo switched off. Charging with Mojo switched on and playing is possible, but the time taken to fully charge will be considerably longer and depending on volume level and headphone load the battery. It is possible that, when using headphones of high load, the battery may take extremely long to fully charge. It is normal for Mojo to become warm when charging especially if switched on and playing at the same time.

I stand corrected said the man in orthopedic shoes

Back
Top Bottom