1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas gift-buying tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tenofspades, 14 Nov 2021.

1. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Word.

2. Martynt74

Capodecina

Certainly the way forward, i much preferred it when we did this amongst the adults. Although now we do nothing!

3. jaybee

Soldato

I dislike what xmas has become. My tips would be to buy early and get it done. If you see something cheap and in stock or on a deal. Get it. Use black friday.

4. tenofspades

Gangster

yes it is really sad, people do get into debt about christmas. It's always rather a costly time of year.

5. tenofspades

Gangster

thats good tip, early saves a later headache.

6. andy_mk3

Capodecina

A lot of my family use Amazon wishlists. Enables people to buy something that person actually wants, or to get an idea of the sort of things they are after and at the very least get an Amazon voucher towards something. Mrs side of the family insist on buying tat for the sake of it that ends up in the bin, it's a massive waste of money and resources which I hate. I'd rather have nothing at all than crap.

7. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

Fixed this for @tenofspades :p

8. Semple

Sgarrista

Yep especially with the rocky economy i wouldn't dream of buying gift cards.

Actually i lie, the only one i would buy would be Amazon - lets face it, if Amazon went bust we'd all be stuffed.

The OPs question does reflect what's wrong with the world. I suspect that's where the majority of family/friends are at, and end up buying things that the receiver doesn't like or won't ever use, and it just gets binned.

9. Diddums

Capodecina

Hang on, did this dude just tseriously and unironically call his shopping method a "hack"? :D:D:D:D:D:D

10. arknor

Caporegime

yea my parents are terrible for wasting when it comes to me :p

I tell them I'm pretty much a vegetarian and then they bring me tons of food at Christmas, meat flavour crisps , meat flavour pot noodles, soup with meat in it.......
    they don't even eat meat themselves.... total vegans lol

I tell them I don't really drink as well and my dad will bring me like 20-40 cans of lager/cider...

Told my mum all I need is socks, tea towels and a kettle. I probably still get loads of food I don't like.

for the record I donated it to a local food bank every time but it's still annoying, they won't take alcohol I just leave it on my doorstep with a "steal me" note.

got loads of shirts and stuff I'll never wear too

11. Semple

Sgarrista

:cry: Sounds like they're winding you up.

Yeah food banks/shelters etc won't take alcohol for the obvious. I suppose the only other alternative is to add it to the raffle for any local community clubs or schools etc. Although i'm not sure what someone would say if you donated 20 cans of lager :D.

12. tenofspades

Gangster

What's wrong with the word 'hack'?
    I use 'hack' in the same way of 'lifehacks'. Not literally IT.

13. Mrs Seabiscuit

Mobster

Well pro tip, you are on a computer forum! Hack or life hack as you are reffering to, its an annoying word at that.

Whats with all the mumsnet user account lately?
    BRING BACK DVD Bunny! :D

14. bazzabear

Mobster

Christmas was one of the major factors that made me get off my bum and leave retail.

It was particularly bad for me because I was a baker, so over Christmas I had to work nights which completely ruined the whole period. Because apparently the people of a town with ~30,000 population need to buy 3,000 extra loaves per day over the entire two week period. Beggars belief.

15. arknor

Caporegime

most "lifehacks" seem to be common sense these days :p

has anyone ever said thanks for the hack? or is it thanks for the TIP

Did you know what the slots in an icecube tray were for? cos even your granny probably does but it went viral on tiktok apparently

16. something daft already!!

Soldato

The chap in the below video was rather fond of life hacks.

17. Semple

Sgarrista

Were they actually sold?

18. bazzabear

Mobster

Yep, we got cleared out daily of every bread product we could make. And bear in mind that's just the store made bread. I would presume we sold even more of the brand name prepackaged stuff.

19. cheesefest

Wise Guy

Never understood why people NEED to buy 12 loaves of bread and 18 pints of milk just in case. Just in case of what?

My parents only use a pint of milk over Christmas Day and Boxing Day for teas and coffees. Usually have double this.

20. bm_999

Gangster

buy now pay later