Christmas lunch - what are you cooking and drinking?

Soldato
Question for you fellow turkey chefs.

(This part isn't relevant) We had some friends over at the weekend, so decided to do a bit of a Christmas dinner. Had a small turkey about 2ish KGs from what i remember, but cooking time on the pack was 2 hours and 4 minutes. I prepped the turkey in the morning - usual stuff, thyme and butter under the skin, couple of slices of orange under the skin, and two halves in the cavity (was only a crown). I then rubbed olive oil over the outside of the skin and added a sprinkle of salt and pepper. It was laid on a bed of raw carrots chopped in half, with a whole white onion very loosely chopped in the base.

I pre-heated the oven, and wrapped some foil loosely over the turkey and covered around the tray. Once oven got to temperature i stuck it in. After about an hour, i took it out and basted it with the small amount of juices that were now in the bottom. Recovered with foil and stuck it back in the oven.
Took it out about another half hour later, so we're approximately 90 minutes in out of 124 minutes. Probed it with a thermometer and most areas were reporting 80C+, and googling found a load of sites saying it's cooked when it hits 70C. I could see the juices run clear when i pulled the thermometer out.

I think our oven actually does run hotter than the temperature it sets to, but my question is, knowing that the turkey was giving an 80C temperature and juices ran clear, would you have continued cooking it for the remainder of the half an hour potentially drying it out, or would you have been satisfied that it has cooked early.

Cooking instructions for things as 'dangerous' as poultry always skew towards the better be very safe than sorry, and will work on the worst oven in the world's rating and always go well above the danger zone. Probe it and as soon as it's 5-10c under get it out and resting and it'll come up to the safe temp and be perfect.

Soldato
Will be bashing my 16lb turkey on the kamado for a nice slow cook. Guests (in-laws) may not be too enthused about a smokey taste but there we are. Going to attempt a wet brine this year, still trying to find a suitable sized bucket/trug and I guess I'll fill it with ice to keep things cool as I don't think it'll fit in a fridge to sit for 24 hours. Rest will be usual trimmings, traditional as possible.

Christmas pudding for pudding, I never used to like it until we made one last year for the first time (Delia's recipe) and it was amazing. I read something about some eggnog cream in a Nigella recipe so I'll be whipping some of that up using the usual homemade eggnog I make for christmas eve. Will also do a ferrero rocher yule log.

I don't really believe in starters for christmas day, need to keep as much room as possible for the main and pudding. Maybe a few oven cooked battered prawns/spring rolls with some sweet chili sauce. Bit sacrilegious but sort of a family tradition.

Soldato
There's only me and my Mum this year so it's a turkey crown. Mashed spuds, roasties, sprouts w/ lardons, roast parsnips, sweetcorn and Yorkshire pudding with bread sauce and stuffing.

Soldato
We're actually being heathens this year and planning on an Indian takeaway!

We've talked about it for years, but never done it. Main reasons being that we have a roast around 2-3 times a months anyway with a variety of sides/meats and the kids don't really eat turkey so we end up doing a million different things to appease everyone. Combined with my wife having a bad spell the last few months and knowing even if i say "i'll cook", that she'll have to take over because i'll be drunk by around 2pm.

So a big change this year, no extended family, just the 5 of us (plus maybe the mother in law) and sit around with a takeaway. Since my wifes dad and brother died the whole family seem to struggle around Christmas time so it's always just a bit of a wasted day.

Roll on a few years and we'll be in Spain sat on the beach with Cava :D

Soldato
We're actually being heathens this year and planning on an Indian takeaway!

We've talked about it for years, but never done it. Main reasons being that we have a roast around 2-3 times a months anyway with a variety of sides/meats and the kids don't really eat turkey so we end up doing a million different things to appease everyone. Combined with my wife having a bad spell the last few months and knowing even if i say "i'll cook", that she'll have to take over because i'll be drunk by around 2pm.

We're going out for a curry. We've done it a few times and it's always been very good. We'd planned to do it last year, but of course that didn't happen. We still had curry though, the restaurant delivered it as a takeaway to 3 different households.

We will still do a traditional Christmas dinner a few days later for 14 people but having not seen enough of our families for too long we decided to all get together and go out for dinner. I like cooking for everyone, but I end up spending all day in the kitchen and then end up barely speaking to anyone and not wanting to eat anything.

So my 'Christmas' dinner this year will be mixed kebab, kurz-e lamb, various sides then pistachio kulfi. I can't wait.

Soldato
Sorry, what? I think I may have to place you on ignore now :cry:

Haha i'm surprised more people don't already!

I think we've just got to the point where it feels like there ends up being a lot of pressure to cater for different tastes because people want different things and you want everyone to enjoy it and at the end of it you just end up with a glorified roast dinner that isn't really much different than we have multiple times a month anyway (except for maybe pigs in blankets!). So this year we've decided to sod it and just go easy and a takeaway.

I will however be ensuring we have cheese in the evening. No-one is taking that away from me!

I think the only thing i'll miss is the leftovers and turkey sandwiches in the time between Christmas and New Year!

Soldato
We moved house a few weeks ago and we were a bit late for ordering with the local butchers. So we're having a rolled turkey breast and the trimmings.

Christmas Eve is cheese night meets Tapas night with Port for me and Wine for Wife and Mom. Picked up a few nice cheeses at market the other day.

kai

kai

Soldato
Cooking for 10 this year. When i say cooking, i use the term loosely. Its the M&S Christmas collection that we pick up Christmas Eve whereby everything is more or less prepared ready for the oven.
  • Pate or Soup (with homemade bread)
  • Christmas Turkey and all the trimmings
  • Collection Sticky Toffee Pudding Crown or Cheesecake
Then a few nice bottles of champagne. I might open the good ones Christmas Eve so we do not need to share :p

kai

kai

Soldato
I wouldn't be sharing that Dom Perignon with too many people :cry:
I'm not sure i'd want to share most of them to be honest. It depends on how much people would appreciate it. I generally have a few bottles of prosecco for guests :p

Ruinart Rose will be the drink of choice for the table.

One of the orders turned up yesterday. Seriously debating buying another (non limited edition) to drink and store the Laga Gaga version. They did a Lenny Kravitz version a few years back and they have increased in value.

lJMfuHi.png.jpg

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
Might be an option. I'm not sure i could bring myself to spend an extra £50 on a limited edition box anyway :p

If only that was the case. The limited edition is the same price at the moment. I struggled to find it anywhere below £170 (standard 2010). Going to Costco on Friday, in the hope that they have some in stock.

Soldato
Soldato
Will be bashing my 16lb turkey on the kamado for a nice slow cook.
sound like a good risk management against any electricity supply problems (with covid working from home, energy use associated with working week may no longer be the peaks)

Soldato
In terms of drink, my partner and I don't drink alcohol but we'll have a bottle or two of this.

We're off to London at the weekend so will head to La Fromagerie to pick up some Christmas cheese. I must make sure to have eaten before I go there or I'll go OTT and want to buy all the cheeses.

Back
Top Bottom