Christmas Tv has technology and the feminism movement ruined it for the rest of us?

Commissario
Why would feminism have ruined it?

I suspect what has changed is:
A: We're not wearing rose tinted glasses when looking at current TV vs the past.
B: Tastes have changed and there is a lot more variety in what is available - no longer does vast swathes of the population settle for the same content and have the same general taste (which fragmented the audience rather a lot).
C: There are so many different channels that the money isn't there for the commercial ones to put the money in that they used to (ITV's hayday for it's holiday content was probably back int the day of the competing regions when their income was much higher in real terms and they competed between themselves to get content that was good enough for the other regions to pick up).

The actual basic schedules haven't really changed much, neither has the sort of shows that get the most viewers compared to the past, there is still the big comedy act, a new Drama adaptation, the "christmas special" episodes of popular shows, some major network premiers of films, the popular older "holiday" films etc.

Personally I don't find a great deal of the holiday content to be great, but I never have, on the other hand I always seem to find a few films to watch, and a few new bits of drama/comedy content that I like (my favourite holiday TV time was probably the 90's with the Two Ronnies, and Only Fools and Horses as the comedy, then a few films etc).

Permabanned
Yeah feminists control tv. A good example was the remake of watership down where they changed the gender of a couple of the rabbits and outright removed a couple of main male rabbits.

Caporegime
So times, beliefs and prejudices never change over time? Should we be having a remake of 60’s comedies complete with racist, sexist and misogynistic jokes left right and centre? Of course not. Such is the logical progression of life.

Soldato
Top of the Pops seemed different this year. Both presenters female, a band comprising ginger and black people. Most songs had the same crystal flake / mass produced 'emotions' vibe to them.

Soldato
I recorded Porridge, The Good Life and The Two Ronnies, and watched them all on Christmas Day. It was wonderful; dodgy 70s & 80s values or not.

The only thing I kind of miss is something live like that thing Noel Edmonds used to do. It was never brilliant, but it was a bit more lively as 'festive background material' than what we have these days. I know we're all supposed to be sat around in various states of familial bliss, with no need for decent telly, but out here in the real world a bit of distraction would go down well while we're retrieving bits of wrapping paper from under the sofa.

Associate
Main difference is choice, the specials at Xmas were an event that the whole family would come together to watch.

Nowadays with phones, consoles, Netflix etc etc the chances of having a single thing that all watch happily is zero

Soldato
So times, beliefs and prejudices never change over time?..........

For some unfortunately not.

.......Should we be having a remake of 60’s comedies complete with racist, sexist and misogynistic jokes left right and centre?.........

Unfortunately far too many people on these forums think that should be the case.

Soldato
Xmas TV has always been a pile of crap, but due to there being no real alternatives back in the day, entire generations have Stockholm Syndrome from it. :p

It was always dross, serious case of rose-tinted specs.

I put the TV on here and watched classical concerts from Vienna, and various church services from around Germany....if you want to really roll back the decades and live in the past, move here.

Man of Honour
I don't think we turned the TV on over Christmas apart from watching a couple of films and series that we already owned. My kids never watch it. They think it's for old people and old fashioned.

Back
Top Bottom