Chromecast troubleshooting

Permabanned
Hiya

I have a chromecast attached to the TV in my kitchen... Works really well when casting from phone, laptops etc. When I try to cast from my desktop which is connected to my router over ethernet via a powerline adapter I am unable to see the chromecast. If I plug a wireless doingle in to my desktop it works fine. I suspect it is the powerline adapter causing the problem as I do believe when I used to connect the desktolp straight in to the router it worked fine.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Soldato
I had thought casting to chromecast was a direct wireless communication (wifi direct) between the cromecast device and the casting device so could not be accomplished via a router (for IP protection, if nothing else)

the description of the protocol does not really clarify though
DIAL, an acronym for DIscovery And Launch, is a protocol co-developed by Netflix and YouTube with help from Sony and Samsung.[1] It is a mechanism for discovering and launching applications on a single subnet, typically a home network. It relies on Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP), and HTTP protocols. The protocol works without requiring a pairing between devices. It was formerly used by the Chromecast media streaming adapter that was introduced in July 2013 by Google. (Chromecast now uses mDNS instead of DIAL.)[2] DIAL enables so-called "2nd screen" devices, such as tablet computers and mobile phones to send content to "1st screen" devices, such as televisions, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes.[3]

is your desktop and the CC on the same subnet (what are their IP addresses)

Back
Top Bottom