CI+ Module and Card for Samsung TV?

Soldato
I have freesat on two LG TVs in the house - Decent array of channels, ordered nicely, easy to use etc.

I have just bought a Samsung TV with Freesat for another room and the tuner is God awful. Doesn't seem to pick up that many decent British channels - Lots of religious type and shopping channels, but apart from that is is really only BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and ITV2.

I scanned Astra when I set up the auto tune.

Now, lots of the channels request the addition of a CI+ module to the TV.

I have no idea about these and looking on line just gives me reams of different ones, all at different price points. I understand I would also need a car to put into it?

Any recommendations on the most cost effective way to get a full compliment of British Freesat channels, and preferably the HD ones too?

Ta

Man of Honour
Freesat doesn't require a CAM or CI+ card. The clue is in the name, FREEsat.

Are you sure you're picking up the same satellite as the LG TVs are tuned to?

Soldato
OP
Aware of that lol - I have it on three other devices, hence the suprise to see how bad it was on the Samsung.

All scanned the Astra satellite, which I am pretty sure is the standard one for the UK?

Man of Honour
Has the Samsung got Freesat, or is it just a digital satellite tuner? There's a difference, you see.

With a Freesat TV, it uses the Freesat EPG to select and order the channels. That way there's no channels that need a CAM.

Where the TV has just a digital satellite tuner (DVB-S2) then it won't be as selective during tuning.

Now you might say that the TV definitely carries the Freesat logo, which would be fair enough. Remember though, you've got the TV there but we can't see it. Apart from knowing it's a Samsung from your post, we're working in the dark and suggesting most likely causes from a limited amount of info on an unknown Samsung model.

Where the TV does have Freesat then the cause of your tuning issues will be something different. Has the TV got a tuning mode that bypasses the Freesat EPG, for example?

Soldato
OP
The model is QE50Q60TAUXXU and listed as having Freesat.

I do remember on the tuning there was something about Samsung +, or something like that. So possible that despite tuning from Astra that it has done something odd.

I will have a look at the tuning menu again and see....

Soldato
I just don't see any reason for TV manufacturers to put a Common interface slot into their sets for the UK market. OK its a case of one size fits all & other countries may use it, its a format that goes back a fair few years & I did own a telly that had a said slot.

Soldato
OP
So I had another look back at the tuning options and it does indeed have a number of different options - Two of which both scan Astra, but one just Freesat and one everything it can find - Done a re-scan now and all is good. Thanks @lucid

Man of Honour
So I had another look back at the tuning options and it does indeed have a number of different options - Two of which both scan Astra, but one just Freesat and one everything it can find - Done a re-scan now and all is good. Thanks @lucid

You're welcome. Glad it's sorted.

Back
Top Bottom