1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

circa 1970 Honda Monkey Bike- Project/Resto

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Malt_Vinegar, May 31, 2009.

1. Malt_Vinegar

Don

After 3 years of staling, and moving my monkey bike around the garage and not having any space to work on it i finally got my bum into gear and got working.

With my garage cleaned, sorted and squared away, i could make some meaninful progress. (Some of you ma have seen my garage project thread)

So, this was the bike as i got my hands on it. (albeit, with the endine removed)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fuel tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front wheel/brakes
    [​IMG]

49cc engine + Rear light + A big pile of bits!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear Wheel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dodgy bars:
    [​IMG]

So, that was the bike as I got it. As far as I know, it has not been started for at least 10 years, but these things are reknowned for being bullet-proof. So a top end strip down/clean/rebuild is in order just to keep it in top nick :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. shimy182

Mobster

Awesome project!, if I lived closer I would have loved to come to see the progress

3. Malt_Vinegar

Don

Day 2!

After a bit of work, I managed to get the top end stripped down. I was pretty mucky in there, took about 20 minutes of some brushing to get the valves/head/piston cleaned up. Its not perfect, but should be ok (I will be looking to replace the engine at a later date with a 110 or 125) The bore looks superb though :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, the corroded wheels were stripped down and the rims were treated to a load of wire wheeling!

Both ended up looking something like this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a perfect polished look, but it these are being painted, so no need really. Just a few coats of primer to keep them nice till painting time :)

[​IMG]

The fuel tank was holy, so this needed wire-wheeling to see where the holes are, and where JBweld needs to be appied. (The tank will be petsealed before use proper)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, now, you can see the many holes!!
    [​IMG]

Yukky - Should be able to get this repaired hopefully.

Managed to get the tank badges off un-hurt also :)
    [​IMG]

Thats it up to Last night. I need to get a gasket set for the topend, and some JBwelb to get the tank sorted. I think i will need a new carb, im missing some internal parts from the one I have, and dont think i can get a re-build kit :(

I am not sure on the legality of lights at the moment, I am being assured that lights/speedo/indicators are not requied due to the age. However, it will need a horn. As mine is pre-72, apparently a squeezy horn will do! I dont think thats a route i will go down though :p

4. Batf1nk

Wise Guy

Cool! This going to be road legal?

5. Malt_Vinegar

Don

Yup, thats the plan.

To register a Monkey Bike for road use you must acquire the following:
    Age related certificate from manufacturer or MBUK or Roy Bacon
    MOT certificate
    Insurance certificate
    V55 form from DVLA (not available in post offices)
    £55 Payment
    Photographs of the bike including close up of VIN

Send all that to your local Vehicle Registraion office and in a week or two, they will issue you with an age related registration mark

6. Dogbreath

Capodecina

You only need a working horn for a daytime MOT, though I personally wouldn't ride a bike on public roads without a brake lamp.

7. RoysonBobson

Gangster

hope this goes well!

8. Thomas. PLease.

Soldato

Awesome little project, looks great. :cool:

9. Malt_Vinegar

Don

Ok, I have been working on the fuel tank, and given the wheel a quick blast of black for now.

I should probably say that at this point i am just getting the thing back to road-worthy condition so I can get it MOTed and road legal again. Once it is registered then the proper paint job and frame re-spray will be done. (Basically, its easier to get this done whilst the old frame numbers are easily visable)

I am considering speaking to a local powder-coat company to see what they can do for the bike at a later date :)

The tank with a bit of filler, needs a few more goes to get it right(Im a bit new to this filler malarkey!) I think it might work better after a couple of layers of primer?
    [​IMG]

Liquid metal - Savior of fuel tanks - Worldwide! (Yet to be sanded in this pic)
    [​IMG]

Forgot to get pics of the wheels, but I will soon enough :)

10. bledd

Don

gogo-banana-bike

:)

11. Jonny69

Man of Honour

Looks like this is going to be a laff, I'm watching ;)

12. Malt_Vinegar

Don

Fingers crossed :)

I just ordered the gasket kit, a handlebar knob (to replace the broken 1) a spark plug, and the tank rubber set. - Fingers crossed that lot will arrive on Friday, so i can get the engine back together.

I am then picking up a few other bits from a guy I spoke to online

Standard Exhaust, Standard Carb, Original Coil, Ignition Switch and a tatty seat (for MOT purposes)

I just need to get my hands on a V55/5 form, and an age certificate from either Honda (£27.50) or MBUK (£20).

It is possible, if all goes to plan, that I might have a working bike by the end of next week. This will mean i can then get it MOT'ed and send off all the other documentation to the DVLA.

:D:D

Going by my previous experiences with the DVLA, i fully expect there to be problems at this point.

13. classicVin

Hitman

nice project :D

14. Malt_Vinegar

Don

I managed to get some work done last night.

Did a bit more filler work on the fuel tank. Decided to give it a light coat of primer to protect it. It still needs a couple more skims of filler to get the shape perfect though.
    [​IMG]

Sanded the wheels down a bit, and gave them another quick blast of black.
    [​IMG]

Not a perfect finish, and a little run on one side, but happy with it for now. Should look a bit better when the tyres are cleaned up too.
    [​IMG]

I then decided to try and remove the forks, and the handlebars, as they are a bit ropey, and will need some work. I managed to break the one good handlebar holder i did have.. Oh, and also managed to snap off the mounting bolt for the right hand bar. So, I think new bars are needed too :(

Managed to get them off though, and didnt lose a single bearing!
    [​IMG]

The frame is almost bare now.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the poor pics, it was getting dark!

15. Master Skooter

Mobster

Just realised that it's you Malt :D

I'm jealous...monkey bikes rock! :cool:

16. Malt_Vinegar

Don

I know, they are wicked :D

Next -
    I got the wheels built up...
    [​IMG]

Re-covered the old wiring loom....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started to build the bike back up again..

Fitted the ignition, the coil, the forks/headset, wheels/brakes, enginecase (minus head/cyclinder) and did a bbbbit of wiring :D
    [​IMG]

Then i mocked it up with some of the newer bits to see how it might look :D
    [​IMG]

17. 4T5

Man of Honour

Subscribed.

I want one of these to go with my camper but can't find the right one, Plenty of monkey metal foreigners about but no Gens. :(
    I'll make do for now watching your rebuild, Good effort. Monkey bikes rock.

18. danza

Capodecina

LOL at the wiring 'loom'. :D

Good work, keep it up and don't mash yourself when it's running.

19. elmuzzy66.

Capodecina

Brings back the memories of camping and the monkey. Oh and few scares 2

20. 4T5

Man of Honour

Think if I'd have stripped it down that far I'd have got a leccy start C90 lump & a "thumper" exhaust on it. It's not fun unless you are disturbing everybody else on the camp site, waking babies 5 miles away & getting dogs to chase you like they have rabies. :p

/joke (Before the Brigade attack me)