1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CITROEN C5 PETROL AUTOMATIC

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Serdjoo, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Serdjoo

Associate

Hello everyone
    I am looking to buy CITROEN C5 PETROL AUTOMATIC with hydractive/hydraulic suspension max10 years old.
    I've decided to write here because I didn't find it for last 14 months in UK.
    Thank you for your help everybody!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. JRS

Capodecina

Here's one - 2005 3.0 V6 w/ auto 'box. Here's another - 2006 2.0 auto. And that's it for Auto Trader, just those two first gens. Pistonheads doesn't have any petrol ones as far as I can tell. eBay Motors is also short on petrol examples.

The problems are a) the car didn't sell incredibly well in the UK (they sold all of around 17,000 of the second gen ones here for example), b) the ones they did sell were mostly diesels and c) the second generation ones made the hydropneumatic suspension optional so a bunch of the (already minimal) cars around don't have it.

3. Kaeo

Wise Guy

Isn't this the same old hydraulic suspension the bx had back in the 80s that was terrible? :p with the spheres of fluid?

4. Jez

Caporegime

The same hydraulic suspension that the bx had that was brilliant you mean? :p

5. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

For the 1000 things the French do wrong they manage to do something right, the suspension system introduced in the DS was one of them.

6. Jez

Caporegime

So good that Bentley stole the system! :) I hate french cars, but that suspension system was amazing.

7. Serdjoo

Associate

I've got registration in 20 websites but I hope here I could meet the owner who will sell straight to me.
    About the car and suspension I love. It has saved my life and the car was all right after I've jumped over the curb bridge on the road. The speed was approximately 100 M/h

8. Diagro

Sgarrista

Yea, sure it was

9. paradigm

Caporegime

I dunno, I could believe a Citroen survived an impact at 100meters per hour.

10. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Depends if it involved power steering failure or not :p

11. JRS

Capodecina

And immediately set about botching it, adding miles of extra Goes Nowhere Does Nothing™ pipework, fitting pumps that don't really pump and using the suspension spheres and struts for self-levelling only rather than the full ride quality and height control that Citroen had ;)

12. Kaeo

Wise Guy

Brilliant when it worked. :p

13. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

That suspension always made me feel sick. My ex's father had a DS and her step father had a BX and after the first couple of trips in each I used to politely decline when they offered me a lift home and walked instead. Hated the damn things.

14. JRS

Capodecina

Funny, isn't it. A DS was the first car my mum ever rode in that didn't make her car sick. I do have to wonder sometimes if people hate on the hydropneumatic suspension design because they've only ever experienced it when it was half-broken thanks to poor/no maintenance.

15. vanpeebles

Soldato

Better off with a Sinclair C5!

16. ver01@

Gangster

These are becoming rare and remaining owners are probably enthusiasts who will never sell.