City Fibre

Caporegime
With CityFibre I think you're best off taking a "when you see them digging" approach, I have a location announced a couple of years ago, in the green section of the map, and the checker says no plans. Emails go unanswered.

Soldato
https://cityfibre.com/about-us/rollout
Have you checked this map ^ to see how far off they could've gone from you...
Might give you an indication with where they're working now, if you use it alongside https://bidb.uk/
The works map has basically been stagmant all of the time I mentioned.

My info has come from bidb and from the streets where works have started but have stalled without workers.

My own street the work has been completed, the problem is city fibre provide hardly any info to consumers, there is people who have waited over a year from works been completed to availability with nothing said in between.

Soldato
The works map has basically been stagmant all of the time I mentioned.
Well if there's a lot of stuff for them to cover in your area/city especially, it's not surprising that they've disappeared off to go do another part before later circling back hopefully.

My own street the work has been completed, the problem is city fibre provide hardly any info to consumers, there is people who have waited over a year from works been completed to availability with nothing said in between.
Took 3 months for mine to go live after cable was laid on my street, I have a friend who's in the same situation the works finished for him about a year ago now, but can see they've continued working away in different parts of the city.
And none of the postcodes really close by to him where they've done the work are live yet, there must be some sort of reasoning but like you say it'd be nice to know what exactly it is.

Soldato
Well if there's a lot of stuff for them to cover in your area/city especially, it's not surprising that they've disappeared off to go do another part before later circling back hopefully.

Took 3 months for mine to go live, I have a friend who's in the same situation the works finished for him about a year ago now, but they've continued working away in a different part of the city.
And none of the postcodes really close by to him where they've done the work are live yet, there must be some sort of reasoning but like you say it'd be nice to know what exactly it is.

Another part of what? If I wasnt clear before, the entire city has stalled.

The availability map stopped changing a long time ago, street works have stopped moving, and works that are in progress, all equipment and manning has gone, but with work not completed.

Soldato
Are you able to check recently activated properties or something?
Not exactly, you can highlight over the CityFibre thing on the right of BIDB and it will show you all the live properties in your area.
I tend to check the map a lot, so in a way anyone can see 'recently activated properties' if they regularly check the map - screenshots help, I used to do this back in the day when I was waiting for my installation.
Although, if there's absolutely no permits being added and there's no work going on, it's unlikely that postcodes will just get added.

I feel like that'd be a pretty good feature for BIDB/TBB to implement though now that you say it.

Soldato
Not exactly, you can highlight over the CityFibre thing on the right of BIDB and it will show you all the live properties in your area.
I tend to check the map a lot, so in a way anyone can see 'recently activated properties' if they regularly check the map - screenshots help, I used to do this back in the day when I was waiting for my installation.
Although, if there's absolutely no permits being added and there's no work going on, it's unlikely that postcodes will just get added.

I feel like that'd be a pretty good feature for BIDB/TBB to implement though now that you say it.
I know, thats how I know the activated areas havent been spreading. The lines representing roadworks have stopped moving as well, when I driven around the streets with works, there is never anyone there but is unfilled holes, and a friend of mine his pavement has been dug up for 5 months.

The vast majority of the city still has planned cityfibre, so the issue isnt postcodes been added to planning, The city is Leicester, so you can start checking it, notice e.g. there is works in the Highfields area, those same streets the works first were started in October 2020.

The last activated areas in Beaumont Leys it took them almost 2 months to do a street with 30 houses on it.

Initially the roll out was far quicker.

Last edited:
Associate
Well that was a disaster by vodafone nobody turned up for the install.Apparently it was cancelled due to an issue.Ye thanks for letting me know after i contacted them to tell them nobody turned up.The existing voda broadband is due to turned off tonight :eek:

Associate
Been up and running for a few days now, nice improvement over Virgin (100/10), went with Zen (500/500).

The install was ok. Zen gave us a date as soon as we paid online, a FRITZ!box turned up a couple of days later. The CityFibre engineers turned up on that date and informed us the cabinet wasn't working so while they could do the majority of the work - pulling some blocks to run their flexible conduit stuff under the drive, fitting the ONT - we wouldn't be left with a working connection. A guy came back a couple of days later once the cabinet was working, blew a fibre through and hooked us up, took maybe 10-15 mins and all that needed doing indoors was checking we now had four lights on the ONT instead of two.

I've since removed the FRITZ!box and connected the ONT straight into our UniFi Dream Machine which seems to be working fine.

Most painful part of the process was probably Virgin retentions/cancellations.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIA
Man of Honour
I'm lucky enough to have native FTTP with Openreach. Apparently our area is in phase 2 plans for CF and I'll be moving over once I can.

Associate
CF have been working in our area for around 18 months now, dug up our close a few times (plastic boxes installed on the footpath outside each property) and I can see on BIDB that the live services are getting closer - just wanted to ask a question about installs:

Are you able to specify a location for the ONT? I appreciate this might be provider/ engineer specific on the day... VM ran coax up the front of our property into our office to have the router upstairs and I would ideally like the same when the time comes...

Soldato
CF have been working in our area for around 18 months now, dug up our close a few times (plastic boxes installed on the footpath outside each property) and I can see on BIDB that the live services are getting closer - just wanted to ask a question about installs:

Are you able to specify a location for the ONT? I appreciate this might be provider/ engineer specific on the day... VM ran coax up the front of our property into our office to have the router upstairs and I would ideally like the same when the time comes...
How has it taken them 18 months....

Soldato

Our installers asked where we wanted the box to go as it could go anywhere within reason, due to it being a brand new line being brought to the property.

Soldato
They're going to put the brown box outside, the Fibre from the pole/road goes into that brown box.
In the brown box, there's a coupler thing that connects the cable that comes from the road, to a short 1-2M one that goes to the ONT.
You can buy a 10-20Meter or however long Fibre cable you want later and replace the short one they provide you with, and then put the ONT wherever you wish, that's what I've done.

Soldato
Does anyone have to hand any better then standard offers to hand for it before I place an order? Going rate is £35 for 500Mb, so hardly a bad deal in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom