civikl rights for a peaceful protest gone in this country

I'm sorry, but what education exactly do you have on the issue? You're making yourself look like a complete tool, and for the benefit for the right to protest without the stigma attached (which morons on here are throwing around like it's free); I would rather you didn't.

I take it you dont really know how the banks are organised, the right to protest is everyones right, if people didnt protest you really think you have the same freedoms you have now, however as each year pass your freedoms are eroding.

I take it you dont really know how the banks are organised, the right to protest is everyones right, if people didnt protest you really think you have the same freedoms you have now, however as each year pass your freedoms are eroding.

Have you considered the life changing consequences of having banks going bust left right and centre?

LOL the governments must be crying with laughter if you're an example of an average protestor, can't even handle being in a crowd which is barely a fraction of what you'd get at your standard summer festival :p

But they stepped on mah toes :mad: Wanna go home :cries:

You have no idea what your talking about at a festival you have the ability to move or leave, at the protest you couldnt move or leave. after a few hours you get sick of being pushed about think about being their for 8 hours unable to go to the loo etc..

That's your choice.
With protesting you will always have the cons of it; like anything.
You should have thought about it, your fault - no one elses.

Even I think there was more press there than protesters... should have just waved a camera about.

It wasnt peaceful, people were pushing and shoving trying to gain a little space while the police were pushing up back, it felt like being in a compact scrap machine. It then got to the point were people started to throw empty plastic bottles because of this, at one point in the evening after hours unable to sit down people were getting restless and were planing a massive rush around 6 pm.

Now, I understand the desire of the police to contain potential trouble makers, but if this is true, then that is totally overhanded by the police.

To others: what is the point in having the right to protest if we cannot exercise it for fear of being both labelled a nut and then abused by the authorities for doing so?

Stop being knee-jerk (neil2k) and actually consider the implications of this.

However, one could argue that the protests on this particular occassion regarding the state of the economy was unnecessary - we all know it's in a poor way.

It makes me laugh, I saw some fat git smashing a window of RBS on the News yesterday in faux-anger for the state of the economy. I honestly wonder if the guy was affected at all. Why tarnish the good name of the many with the stupid, selfish actions of a few? Hell, I'm unemployed because of this mess and have every right to be annoyed but you don't see my smashing windows in; it just seems so uncouth.

Protesting against the bail-outs is pointless as it had to be done. If you understand even a little bit of how the economy works, you'd know this. Instead, you should've been protesting in favour of more banking regulation to help prevent such a mess happing again in the future! Likewise, climate change issues certainly need to be brought to the fore but when the face of the 'pole' is that of half brain-dead, dreadlocked morons, you will only ellicit dissonance within the right-winged materialistic morons who are in charge of the policy-making or interests which shape such policy.

Protests are all well and good, but people are doing themselves no favours at the moment and defending the police's actions in treating innocent protesters like criminals is just as bad.

You have no idea what your talking about at a festival you have the ability to move or leave, at the protest you couldnt move or leave. after a few hours you get sick of being pushed about think about being their for 8 hours unable to go to the loo etc..

Queens of the Stone Age + RATM pit with thousands of other sweaty people overheating and not being able to get a drink, get out or get a steady footing .

Yeah...

Have you considered the life changing consequences of having banks going bust left right and centre?

Banks going bust is fine, certain assets can be transfered to other banks or BOE. What you seeing here is massive failure, people at the top keeping their jobs getting paid massive bonus for the passed too years, if it were a normal company bonus wouldnt be paid, directors and underperforming senior staff would be fired.

Well I wandered down to look at you guys at Bank and it didn't seem that uncomfortable, apart from the long wait, which would have been less no doubt if elements didn't decide to pick fights with the police and smash things up, if you were away from the edges there was plenty of room.

Welcome to the new world order, the UK is a police state in the making.

The G20 sealed all our fates today in announcing what is nothing less than a framework for a single world currency. Queue here for your microchip! :mad:

Don't talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I clearly have more insight into this than you do.

I am staunch defender of human rights and associated liberalism - protesting comes under this, but for you to assume that I'm against protesting simply because I told you you were wrong about the banks? Don't be stupid.

Protesting is a much needed thing. In fact I made your very argument last week (probably in defence of you) but that doesn't change the fact that protesting about the 'bank bailout' is pointless. The banks had to be bailed out or things would be a lot, lot worse than you realise. In being vocal about issues you clearly haven't grasped, it makes the men in suits dismiss your other arguments out of hand. Perhaps you should think about that in future.

As I said in my last post: the bailouts had to happen. Indeed, it is pointless to argue a counter-factual now. If you must do something productive; protest in favour of regulation.

Last edited:
Now, I understand the desire of the police to contain potential trouble makers, but if this is true, then that is totally overhanded by the police.

To others: what is the point in having the right to protest if we cannot exercise it for fear of being both labelled a nut and then abused by the authorities for doing so?

Stop being knee-jerk (neil2k) and actually consider the implications of this.

However, one could argue that the protests on this particular occassion regarding the state of the economy was unnecessary - we all know it's in a poor way.

It makes me laugh, I saw some fat git smashing a window of RBS on the News yesterday in faux-anger for the state of the economy. I honestly wonder if the guy was affected at all. Why tarnish the good name of the many with the stupid, selfish actions of a few? Hell, I'm unemployed because of this mess and have every right to be annoyed but you don't see my smashing windows in; it just seems so uncouth.

Protesting against the bail-outs is pointless as it had to be done. If you understand even a little bit of how the economy works, you'd know this. Instead, you should've been protesting in favour of more banking regulation to help prevent such a mess happing again in the future! Likewise, climate change issues certainly need to be brought to the fore but when the face of the 'pole' is that of half brain-dead, dreadlocked morons, you will only ellicit dissonance within the right-winged materialistic morons who are in charge of the policy-making or interests which shape such policy.

Protests are all well and good, but people are doing themselves no favours at the moment and defending the police's actions in treating innocent protesters like criminals is just as bad.

Bailing them out is a moral hazard, they havent learnt their lessons, christ one top banker last week said we have too much regulation.

Don't talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I clearly have more insight into this than you do.

I am staunch defender of human rights and associated liberalism - protesting comes under this, but for you to assume that I'm against protesting simply because I told you you were wrong about the banks? Don't be stupid.

Protesting is a much needed thing. In fact I made your very argument last week (probably in defence of you) but that doesn't change the fact that protesting about the 'bank bailout' is pointless. The banks had to be bailed out or things would be a lot, lot worse than you realise.

As I said in my last post: the bailouts had to happen. Indeed, it is pointless to argue a counter-factual now. If you must do something productive; protest in favour of regulation.

This mess is because of the govenment not the bankers, the bankers just saw a loop hole to make money, years ago and the government recieved benefits from this thus keeping the ball going.

Bailing them out is a moral hazard, they havent learnt their lessons, christ one top banker last week said we have too much regulation.

You don't understand though do you? The bailouts had to happen or economic life as you know it would have come to a complete end.

As I said, you want to avoid this moral hazard? Protest for regulation instead!

In my opinion the police were left little choice but to contain the protests, given previous years G8 summit rioting and looting.

There's no doubt that it's the small minority of people who are there to cause trouble, some who seem to travel considerable distances. Unfortunately when buildings and businesses have been vandalised, cars set alight and petrol bombs thrown at the police, is there really any chance the police are going to let many hundreds of thousands of people run around the city freely? Not to mention the whole world looking at London expecting something to happen during the g20 summit.

To be honest, the vast majority of the people who are protesting, 'anarchists' or not, could not form a well thought out conversation as to what they're actually protesting about.

Back
Top Bottom