Claiming for food poisoning

• Thread starter Deleted member 11679
  • Start date

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Hello all,

Just after advice from anyone who’s been in this situation before.

Last Sunday, it appears that I ate from a buffet in a pub that has subsequently given me food poisoning.

Been to the doctors, samples sent off and still feel very under the weather five days on. Talking with the organiser of the party (it was for a christening), several others have come down with something similar.

Because of this, I’ve logged a report with environmental health. Upon doing so, it appears as if the pub in question has a 2* Food Safety rating!

So, my questions. Will environmental health actually do anything? It’s my understanding that several others will also be completing the relevant complaint online.

Is it possible to seek compensation from a venue over this sort of thing? If so, and in your experience, how easy is it to do and will I face something very long and drawn out?

Advice appreciated. I’m not happy about it, totally ruined a week of holiday! I’m not really one for wanting ‘compensation’ but this has made me feel truly awful and hasn’t gone away yet.

Thank you,

Tom

Soldato
Were you on leave whilst ill? Your employer should give you that time back if so, but apart from that I think you will struggle for comp unless you can prove that you have been affected financially.

Been there myself are times so understand your annoyance.

Soldato
Just some insight from inside the industry - well, I used to be. Environmental Health will contact the head office of the pub involved, if its a chain. The pub will be asked to provide its logs, fridge checks, meat temperature checks etc. If they're all in compliance, then someone from HO may go to the site concerned and ask some questions. But food poisoning is very hard to prove - compensation is also very rare.

Soldato
Pretty sure I remember reading some years ago, that like Hospital infections, Most of these problems are caused not by dodgy kitchens, but by dodgy guests.

You know, the guest that had the squits that day but didn't want to miss the party who then had a dump and then didn't wash his hands properly before rummaging around in the bread rolls to find the one he wanted.

The most probabale source of any food poisoning is actually likley to be one of your fellow sufferers.

Who got sick "First"??

Soldato
Is it possible to seek compensation from a venue over this sort of thing? If so, and in your experience, how easy is it to do and will I face something very long and drawn out?

Advice appreciated. I’m not happy about it, totally ruined a week of holiday! I’m not really one for wanting ‘compensation’ but this has made me feel truly awful and hasn’t gone away yet.

Out of curiosity, how much compensation would you be looking to claim?

Typically to claim for compensation, you would have had to have suffered some sort of financial loss, be it missing a concert or sports event etc.

You mentioned holiday, but was this just time off work, or a booked holiday somewhere. If the latter, are you not claiming from your travel insurance?

Soldato
Just some insight from inside the industry - well, I used to be. Environmental Health will contact the head office of the pub involved, if its a chain. The pub will be asked to provide its logs, fridge checks, meat temperature checks etc. If they're all in compliance, then someone from HO may go to the site concerned and ask some questions. But food poisoning is very hard to prove - compensation is also very rare.

Compliance checks like temps etc are very easy to fudge. Trust me on that one

Soldato
I got very ill with food poisoning a few years back, I had lots of weird symptoms I wouldn't associate with food poisoning so I called the docs (as well as it coming out of both ends I suffered with loss of balance, struggled to talk as I felt so weak, felt like I had the flu)

They took a stool sample and that was that. I recovered on my own and didn't even bother chasing my results because I could never get through on the phone when I tried.

A few weeks later I got a letter from environmental health wanting to know where I'd been as I had a reportable illness. I never did hear if they actually investigated further but from that I figured they at least take it seriously so op, if you contact them I expect they'll do something!

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Were you on leave whilst ill? Your employer should give you that time back if so, but apart from that I think you will struggle for comp unless you can prove that you have been affected financially.

Been there myself are times so understand your annoyance.

Thank you for this, useful to know.

That's interesting to know, thank you.

Not worth the time or effort . You'll get nowhere. Chalk it up to being unfortunate and move on with your life.

That's almost certainly what I'll end up doing. The point about compensation, probably written badly in the first post, would be more about claiming back for the price paid for the buffet. That was all.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
I got very ill with food poisoning a few years back, I had lots of weird symptons I wouldn't associated with food poisoning so I called the docs.

They took a stool sample and that was that. I recovered and didn't even bother chasing my results because I could never get through on the phone when I tried.

A few weeks later I got a letter from environmental health wanting to know where I'd been as I had a reportable illness. I never did hear if they actually investigated further but from that I figured they at least take it seriously so op, if you contact them I expect they'll do something!

Thank you, useful to know.

Soldato
That's almost certainly what I'll end up doing. The point about compensation, probably written badly in the first post, would be more about claiming back for the price paid for the buffet. That was all.
Hey look by all means make a complaint. you'd probably get more traction if you collate some evidence that your entire party was affected. But I wouldn't spend any time on it. Knock something up in 15mins and get on with your life. But you never know, if the pub is half decent (which with a 2* rating I doubt it :p) and keen to keep repeat business they might offer you something. But I'm guessing (and this is a total guess because I have no experience on the management's side of the fence) that they'll know full well that you'll never return, so won't bother doing anything.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Hey look by all means make a complaint. you'd probably get more traction if you collate some evidence that your entire party was affected. But I wouldn't spend any time on it. Knock something up in 15mins and get on with your life. But you never know, if the pub is half decent (which with a 2* rating I doubt it :p) and keen to keep repeat business they might offer you something. But I'm guessing (and this is a total guess because I have no experience on the management's side of the fence) that they'll know full well that you'll never return, so won't bother doing anything.

When I wrote the thread, it was an 'I'm angry at the world because I'm unwell and deserve X, Y, Z' ...now my fever has dropped off for a bit and I'm more rational, I know I'll not do anything. It'll be nothing more than a rubbish story to share. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom