Clamping legallity

Soldato
Just had a call from my Brother...

He usually parks his car outside his student accomodation on a large empty tarmac area out the front. He says about 10 cars regularly park there and the only signs up say you park at your own risk.

He's come back to his car this evening, there are only 5 there and 3 (including his) have been clamped. He says signs have gone up that say clamping in operation, but these definately weren't there yesterday and you can tell from the cable ties etc that they're brand new.

The car is due in at the body shop for some work tomorrow at 9am about 30 miles from where he is and he was meant to be taking it home to my mum tonight so she could take it in.

It sounds like the clampers are pulling a fast one, but what can he do? It's £90 per day, and he's gone running to the cashpoint to get some cash. If they're "closed" when he gets back it'll have to wait til tomorrow, he'll "owe" them £180 and the car will miss it's bodyshop appointment.

Associate
dw1057.jpg

solved

Soldato
As far as i know they need a clamping license to legally clamp so you'll need to request to see that first off. Then if they have one you need to contest it with them and then take it further with the police/acetylene kit etc.

Soldato
Gaijin said:
As far as i know they need a clamping license to legally clamp so you'll need to request to see that first off.

I was just about to post this. I work in a security company and one of the trainers was telling me today that all wheel clampers have to have a license.

If they don't have it, they can't legally clamp your car and you can ask them to take it off.

Soldato
If there have no signs up they have illegally interfered with your property.

Remove the clamp with an angle grinder and take the clamp with you, state you will return the clamp once they have paid you for the time and costs incurred in removing it.

Soldato
OP
Just had another call from him, he's paid, they've removed the clamp and he's on his way.

He forgot to ask them whether they had a liscence :( My brother is useless at dealing with stuff himself, but I'll give him a hand to write a letter at some point contesting the fine and asking to see their liscence.

Soldato
jpmonkey69 said:
If you get it welded back together, maybe they won't do you for criminal damage afterwards when you find out they DID have a licence :(

If they have acted without a license they have done so illegally, you should only be cutting the padlock. You would never get in any trouble if you replaced the padlock in a worst case scenario.

Soldato
tbh honest if there are no cameras they can use to prove that you damaged their clamp I would just saw the clamp clean thru and dump it in the bin. If they have no evidence to prove that you removed the clamp then what can they do? Not that I am advising that you lie in court of course!! :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
They have to be licensed by a group called the SIA. In addition they must release the car within a "reasonable length of time", though I didn't find a definition for that. No clues about how I found the above out.
Now, how do you make molotov cocktails?

Back
Top Bottom