Clapping Banned at Manchester University Student Union Events

Caporegime
Back in the day if you had a class full of 25 kids roaring with applause and one kid wasn't joining in, that kid would be encouraged to join in, then after two weeks that kid would be clapping the loudest, louder than the whole class!

Now the whole class will be forced to stop clapping just because 1 kid is a bit anxious.

Dem mind controls doe.

Caporegime
The country is a mess and generation z are a disgrace

At least the blame has moved on from Millenials I suppose. So we get to start blaming the younger generation now? That’s a sure sign we’re getting old. :(

I find it pretty alarming, how some of the educational establishments are encouraging and supporting this sort of thing.

I'm almost at a loss in wondering, exactly how someone who experiences anxiety from the presence of people clapping, has managed to make it from birth to adulthood, without dying? How are they able to go outside and cope with normal day to day life, if clapping can cause them to have some sort of episode.

What do they do when a lorry discharges it's airbrakes nearby, a jet plane flies overhead or a car backfires? do they literally curl up on the floor in the fetal position?

I feel like I'm being trolled each time I read one of these reports, and keep checking the sources to make sure I'm not on the onion or something.

It’s a student union, not an educational establishment. They’re two separate entities. The university has little input into the Union. Student union politics is the playground of the weird and wacky and exists in a vacuum, having little affect on the outside world. They’ve always been “edgy” and should just be ignored for the most part.

Soldato
At least the blame has moved on from Millenials I suppose. So we get to start blaming the younger generation now? That’s a sure sign we’re getting old. :(
most of the time people are moaning about millennials they are just using the term incorrectly and are actually referring to gen Z

Soldato
I suspect it's guerilla marketing tbh. When last did you hear about such a niche union? One little gig like this and we're past 100 posts in this thread alone.
Wanna be future politicians trying to cause a stir? Surely not.

Next there'll be a story about a random village that needs tourists banning velcro or something.

That'll get at least 200 posts.

Caporegime
most of the time people are moaning about millennials they are just using the term incorrectly and are actually referring to gen Z

People have been moaning about millenials for the last decade or more which means they’ve been moaning about school children for the most part (Gen Z is the mid 90s to now) if that were the case.

Realistically now millenials have grown up and entered the workforce those that complained about them (and those millenials themselves) will start complaining about the younger generation. That’s how the world works and has for millenia.

When generation Z get into their 20s and 30s they’ll start moaning about the next generation and those that moaned about generation Z will join them.

Caporegime
I suspect it's guerilla marketing tbh. When last did you hear about such a niche union? One little gig like this and we're past 100 posts in this thread alone.

You still need people to spread the article, which is where the seemingly perpetually offended come in. They seem to like spreading things like this far and wide by moaning at it.

Soldato
You still need people to spread the article, which is where the seemingly perpetually offended come in. They seem to like spreading things like this far and wide by moaning at it.

I don't know if you're capable of understanding this, but there's a massive difference betwixt being 'perpetually offended' at everything and merely pointing out sheer stupidity.

Soldato
I am baffled as to how this helps improve accessibility.

For people with sensory processing disorders and/or autism spectrum disorder (including Asperger's), this would be a helpful measure. So, there's that I suppose.

I find it pretty alarming, how some of the educational establishments are encouraging and supporting this sort of thing.

I'm almost at a loss in wondering, exactly how someone who experiences anxiety from the presence of people clapping, has managed to make it from birth to adulthood, without dying? How are they able to go outside and cope with normal day to day life, if clapping can cause them to have some sort of episode.

What do they do when a lorry discharges it's airbrakes nearby, a jet plane flies overhead or a car backfires? do they literally curl up on the floor in the fetal position?

I feel like I'm being trolled each time I read one of these reports, and keep checking the sources to make sure I'm not on the onion or something.

Just because someone gets 'triggered' by overtly noisy environments or whatever it doesn't mean they're liable to drop dead upon experiencing one, or that they can't be intelligent enough to make it through a degree. As to whether this is a proportional measure, I wouldn't like to say. Most people with the aforementioned disabilities tend to use ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones etc.

Permabanned
Some hand gestures by extremist elements have already been, or are being banned in parts of Europe, these nutters wil have to step stealthily to avoid arrest especially if they venture into Austria.

"Austria’s far-Right interior ministry has been plunged into new controversy over plans to ban “extremist” symbols including salutes used by Islamic extremists and Turkish and Kurdish nationalists.

But the proposals have been ridiculed after it emerged that some of the hand signals could easily be confused with common gestures including the peace sign and Churchill’s “V for victory” salute.

It is not an Austrian attempt to sabotage Churchill’s legacy, and nor are tourists going to be arrested for making the gesture while taking selfies in Vienna.

The proposed ban is part of a new crackdown on extremist groups by the interior ministry, which is controlled by the far-Right Freedom Party (FPÖ), the junior partner in Austria’s coalition government.

The Hitler salute and other Nazi symbols are already forbidden in Austria, and Herbert Kickl, the interior minister, wants to extend the ban to other extremist groups."

I would like to see the "jazz hands" gestures banned in the UK as an act of extremist symbolism by those who wish to emasculate our youth :)

Caporegime
I don't know if you're capable of understanding this, but there's a massive difference betwixt being 'perpetually offended' at everything and merely pointing out sheer stupidity.

Of course, you’re different to the those you claim are perpetually offended, you’re just picking out “stupidity”, not offence when you complain about things...

Reality is you guys love to post and moan about everything. How about Victor (Meldrew) instead then? ;)

Back
Top Bottom