cleaning MBP lid

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Hi all. What's safe to use on an MBP? Girlfriend has just rung, she's managed to get foundation on it. I'm worried about damaging the coating with something like isopropyl.

Associate
I use Magic Sponges to clean my Macbook (along with countless other objects/surfaces). They are super cheap from that auction site.

You don't use any detergents/cleaning fluids; just a small amount of water. The sponge itself is ever so slightly abrasive - that's how it works. Don't be put off by that, though; it's prefectly safe to use on almost anything.

Soldato
Hi all. What's safe to use on an MBP? Girlfriend has just rung, she's managed to get foundation on it. I'm worried about damaging the coating with something like isopropyl.

I'm genuinely curious as to what coating you thought was on the slab of metal that makes up the entire body of an MBP :).

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

I ended up using just a damp soft cloth (the one I used to use for cleaning a camera lens) - and it's fine now :)

Always used TIM clean and it's fine.

The TIM cleaner I have is citrus smelling (I've no idea why), I don't want an orange scented MacBook; although apple may have been alright!

I'm genuinely curious as to what coating you thought was on the slab of metal that makes up the entire body of an MBP :).

The second MBP that I sent back had a defect on it's surface;

aMLsTl.jpg

I attributed this to a coating, but I guess it could've just been an air bubble in the metal. However the fact that the outer casing has a different feel to it to that of the touchpad / keyboard area and that it's much shinier than the aluminium of other things (cans, big blocks of the stuff I've milled) - these all suggest to me it has some outer coating / anodised layer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom