Cleaning nickel blocks...autosol?

Soldato
I need to take my loop apart to fit a new GPU and was going to use opportunity to clean out all my blocks and re-paste.

EK suggests using a soft non abrasive automotive metal cream to polish nickel plated blocks.

Would autosol do?

Also I may have used vinegar to clean the nickel blocks once before I can’t remember - apart from tarnishing the plating would it have had any lasting effects (some autosol and an old toothbrush couldn’t fix??).

How do you guys clean your loops/blocks?

Also are there any coloured coolants that don’t stain?

Thanks

Dave

Man of Honour
I would normally strip down and clean all WC component using said methods (including the inside the CPU/GPU block) then flushing them with fresh distilled/ deionised water letting them dry naturally. I also recommend a full flush on the completed loop too. I'd always replace tubing with new... merely for a decent connection.

I stupidly once forgot to clean a rad I resprayed white and of course, it pumped **** round the rest of the system.

Soldato
I would normally strip down and clean all WC component using said methods (including the inside the CPU/GPU block) then flushing them with fresh distilled/ deionised water letting them dry naturally. I also recommend a full flush on the completed loop too. I'd always replace tubing with new... merely for a decent connection.

I stupidly once forgot to clean a rad I resprayed white and of course, it pumped **** round the rest of the system.

Do the same, strip block and clean thoroughly just fairy and warm water - gets the plastic pretty clean. Clean metal with a tooth brush and autosol, then rinse it VERY thoroughly in the soapy water. Finally once assembled again flush with distilled, then back it goes.

Associate
Distilled de-ionised water with a toothbrush and fully stripping down the blocks did the job for me, air dry and rub with a micro fibre cloth.

Mayhems do a cleaning kit that has all fancy chemicals in if you're that way inclined.

Associate
Toothpaste! One of those 3D whitening ones and a small soft toothbrush, depending on how much gunk is in there. Don't use baking soda toothpaste though, too abrasive, also keep it away from the plexi covers.

EDIT: I just did this last light in fact. Colgate toothpaste and a toothbrush, kept the block on, just took the plexi off. Clean the O rings. Just drop the paste on the block and brush away, use distilled water with a paper tower or kitchen roll and wipe it clean a few times. Go over the tiny channels over and over again until it runs clear.

Clean the plexi with Mr Muscle Window Cleaner, be gentle and spray it on a cloth, not directly. No NOT use toothpaste or anything abrasive, it will scratch and damage the plexi. Having destroyed blocks after cleaning, believe me I know :p

Looks good as new

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom