1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climate change, the facts, the theory

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Judgeneo, May 30, 2010.

1. joeyjojo

Soldato

I appreciate the sentiment but in seriousness even non-stupid people would get the wrong idea from this kind of 'journalism' if it were all they were exposed to.

Come to think of it I think tamino was a bit off with that refrain ('how stupid...?') since it implies being stupid is sufficient to fall for his tricks, but that's not really fair. Cherry-picking is effective precisely because it conceals part of the information, so no amount of 'cleverness' will help someone work out the truth from that. What is required is independent research.

Doesn't make it any less insidious. I really don't understand how Rose lives with himself misleading people this way.

2. datalol-jack

Soldato

Ouch:

Climate change escalating so fast it is 'beyond point of no return'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/donald-trump-climate-change-policy-global-warming-expert-thomas-crowther-a7450236.html

Remember that major point of uncertainty regarding soil carbon feedback cycles? Well the data and major review of the uncertainty relating to it is in, and it don't look good.

The sobering infographic re CO2 dumping per capita also shows nicely who the real beneficiaries of any 'hoax' theory would be. :\

If this carries on with the tacit approval or resignation of those in power, expect a wave of eco-terrorism to sweep the developed nations like wildfire. Though like the chap at the end, I do hope we can dampen the effects sufficiently to have a future as a species.:(

3. StriderX

Capodecina

Don't worry the Snoopers bill will find these terrorists, after all it was what it was "designed" to do.

In seriousness, no we can only hope that the planet agrees to start scrubbing the air in a massive engineering project... uh kinda like Deus Ex i guess.

4. datalol-jack

Soldato

They tried that with the mass webcam footage capture. It ended up being a giant sociology experiment whereby the NSA/CIA combo concluded that it had 0 leads to actual terrorists plotting and lots of people fapping/jilling to each other for money instead. Yup. X-Files to the max! I'm confident they'll keep trying though, as it's seen as doing something by the public. Plus it's a bit hard to get at those off-the-grid types.

5. jimjamuk

Mobster

Personally I feel if they cannot curb some of the CO2 emissions in a relaistic manner that governments need to go on a massive tree planting exercise to try and soak some of that CO2 up. I'm talking millions of trees.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

You'd need to cover about half the planet.

7. tracertong

Hitman

8. JeditOjanen

Mobster

9. altus

Gangster

[​IMG]

Cherry pick from wherever you like and show me the problem.

10. Amp34

Caporegime

Which ironically (well not really) is probably not far off the area of trees before humans started cutting them down in earnest a few thousand years ago.

11. Amp34

Caporegime

I assume you haven't noticed the little uptick right at the end, almost invisible on the scale of that diagram? The one with the significantly higher gradient than the rest of the "modern warm period".

Then add a couple of degrees to that...

It's also worth pointing out climate change is not just hinged on a single graph of temperature, there's a heck of a lot more detailed analysis with a myriad of measurements and proxies involved. That temperature graph is just an end point of all that study, for the layman.

12. altus

Gangster

Warm is good.

13. joeyjojo

Soldato

14. cosmogenesis

Mobster

David Rose is just spouting nonsense, only used land data, only cherry picked his starting point etc. Good denier nonsense but it seems to convince many unfortunately

15. tracertong

Hitman

Lord Christopher Monckton at the Freedom Force International conference in Phoenix, Arizona, who says he’s pinpointed the mistake climate scientists made in their exaggerated projection equations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLuBgZ1bgoY

16. altus

Gangster

Interesting times ahead for the kool aid drinkers.

17. tracertong

Hitman

18. C.R.A.Z.Y

Mobster

Sooooo true:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  19. joeyjojo

Soldato

Monckton has absolutely no scientific credibility whatsoever. Skepticalscience even went so far as to do a special series of "Monckton Myths" debunking 17 specific myths and errors he has uses to mislead people.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Monckton-Myths-one-stop-shop-Monckton-misinformation.html

Therefore, forgive me if I don't watch any of his nonsense youtube videos.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  20. Tefal

Capo Crimine

correct me if im wortng but doesn't that show theres more sea ice at the end of this year than there as at the start if it?