Climbing Snowdon for SANDS

Associate
On Saturday 12 May about 70 of us will be walking up the Watkin Path up Snowdon in aid of SANDS the Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Charity.

This charity is particularly close to our hearts as our son Edward was stillborn on 27 March 2009 and it is his memory that I will be walking.

I would be greatful if you sponsor me by donating as much as you can afford, any amount is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justgiving.com/Cheshire-East-and-North-Staffs-Sands

Soldato
Probably still be snow at the top then, i went up 2 weeks back and you would not believe the amount of idiots attempting it with shorts and t-shirt, was well below 0 at the top and around a foot of snow.

Good luck with the walk.

Soldato
To be fair robj20 the weather has been a bit mental recently, it has gone from being amazingly hot and sunny to utterly freezing p quickly. About 3 days before the weather turned I went up the Glyders in shorts and t-shirt and it was a very very good call indeed.

Sorry to hear about your son eashton :( and hope you have a good climb.

Soldato
Done.

I really hope that you get a good day without the wind. Essentials are good footwear, several removeable and light clothing layers and windproof, water resistant jacket as well as fluids and snacks. Plenty of navigation aids and torches in the group also with so many going.

EDIT

Been up seven times in all types of weather, enjoy and be safe.

andy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments.

I hope we have decent weather.

I am an experienced walker, but we do have some not so experienced walkers so we have a mountain leader and several volunteers from mountain rescue doing it with us for safety purposes.

We hope to go on and do Ben Nevis next year and Scafell Pike the year after, but we'll see how we cope with Snowdon first!

Caporegime
Thanks for the comments.

I hope we have decent weather.

I am an experienced walker, but we do have some not so experienced walkers so we have a mountain leader and several volunteers from mountain rescue doing it with us for safety purposes.

We hope to go on and do Ben Nevis next year and Scafell Pike the year after, but we'll see how we cope with Snowdon first!

Sorry, but we're talking Snowdon here? The one that has queues on it on sunny days right?

Maybe it's harder if you have never done it before or been anywhere really tricky but still...

Good luck with the raising charity, much better than the sport relief mile anyway. :)

Associate
OP
Amp34, we are a group of mixed abilities and some will struggle. I know what your saying though, everyone seems to do Snowdon, thats why we have chosen the hardest recognised route.

Soldato
Sorry, but we're talking Snowdon here? The one that has queues on it on sunny days right?
:)

Snowdon is all mountains to all men. There are easy routes and there are hard routes. It can be sunny at the bottom and at the top you can have horizontal rain and wind-chill well below freezing.

Yes there are more challenging mountains in Snowdonia (Crib Goch near Snowdon is a good example) but just because it is a popular tourist destination doesn't mean the mountain won't kill you.

Soldato
Amp34, we are a group of mixed abilities and some will struggle. I know what your saying though, everyone seems to do Snowdon, thats why we have chosen the hardest recognised route.

The Snowdon Horseshoe? Better hope for good weather because unless you are a seasoned mountaineer you go nowhe nearCrib Goch in bad weather. Hell I'd avoid it in anything more than a light breeze.

Caporegime
Snowdon is all mountains to all men. There are easy routes and there are hard routes. It can be sunny at the bottom and at the top you can have horizontal rain and wind-chill well below freezing.

Yes there are more challenging mountains in Snowdonia (Crib Goch near Snowdon is a good example) but just because it is a popular tourist destination doesn't mean the mountain won't kill you.

You can say the same about most places, that doesn't mean it's particularly difficult to walk up. There are harder ways up I agree, but in reality if you want some proper walking you need to be forging your own way on somewhere like Snowdon.

With inexperienced people that's probably not the best to be doing that but it is one of the only "mountains" I've seen people climb in flip flops... My other big issue with Snowdon is that it has a car park at the base, an hour or two up and an hour or two down, if it gets a bit much for you then you can take the train down...

And where did I say it wouldn't kill you, tbh though on your average spring/summer day it's pretty benign as hills go!

Soldato
Not a regular climber, but I did the three peak challenge (well two-peaks for me), one thing I missed a lot was water, water, water and more water.

And a stick for climbing down. I have dodgy knees and after a couple of climbs (Ben Nevis + Snowdown) my knees ceased up. Having support for the descent would have help a lot.

And adequate clothing, but I had that covered.

Back
Top Bottom