Clio 182 - Odd whistling noise - not wind !

Associate
Hi guys,

I've only just bought my clio 182. I was wondering whether anyone could help. I'd noticed a whistling (quite loud) when accelerating in the clio. With the windows down you can hear it too, so assumed could have been the sports filter. I replaced this with a Powertec induction kit but the whistle still exists...

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Associate
Congrats on the motor, feel free to post any pics!

Not sure on the whistle, sounds a touch strange, hopefully Moss suggestion will sort it.
Failing that, check the front grill & where the bonnet joins to the bottom of the windscreen, could be something silly like a leaf trapped vibrating in the wind at speed.
Random suggestion's really!
Although to be honest i'm tempted to point towards the replacement filter, does it make the whistl when your off-throttle while travelling at speed?

Associate
OP
Right - def not the mirrors.

It is only when accelerating (and not only @ full bore so it isn't the induction kit).

Doesn't happen when off throttle no matter what the speed.

It sound like tappets but my mechanic friend informs me the Clio's are hydraulic and therefore don't make noises ...

Would a hole in the exhaust make a noise like that?

Soldato
Could be a belt slipping?

My alternator belt used to be a little slack, and when I put my foot down, the engine moved a bit putting more strain on the belt which then started to slip.

Associate
OP
Gonna get it on a ramp next weekend to have a look. My mechanic friend thinks it is probably a small hole in the exhaust, although I think a belt sounds possible too. Wicked car, shame that there are always teething problems !!

On an aside, highly recommend a Powertec induction kit (steel filter). Sounds savage !! :)

Soldato
Got it on my Teg too - on about 20% throttle you get a little whistle from the airbox. Previous owner had a HKS filter which it was worse with ... but its not quite as bad now the standard 'box is back in place.

Never bothered me really.

Soldato
downhuman said:
Right - def not the mirrors.

It is only when accelerating (and not only @ full bore so it isn't the induction kit).

Doesn't happen when off throttle no matter what the speed.

Oh well, my friend had a clio and the mirror would whistle as we went along, it got quite annoying after awhile. :o

Back
Top Bottom