Clios?

Soldato
Despite my better judgement I've been looking at Puntos. I settled on one and went to pick it up and he said it had just sold. Bar Steward. So I'm going to take that as a sign a look at alternatives. I've tried a few Fiesta's and I just haven't got on with them on the test drives. The Corsas all sounded like they were about to collapse with a heart attack.

So what's the forum's opinions on Clios? Good ones to look out for? Original budget was a grand but that's going up and up and up and is now up to 2.5k for a car that will do me for a good few years.

Soldato
306 is hardly "big" :)

i'd definatley consider something bigger than a clio, especially if you want to keep for a while.

306 would be the smallest i'd consider.

Also keep an open mind. I wanted a 306 or rover 200 and ended up with a ZX :D

Soldato
£2.5k on a Clio won't get you a looked after Mk2 Phase 2 I wouldn't have thought.

They are good cars though. Nothing at all has gone wrong on my 2005 Clio, touch wood. Obviously it has developed a fair few rattles after 12,000 miles but that's 'cause it's french. Doesn't bother me but it might you.

Dynamique and Extreme are the best models to go for. Expression and Authentique are a bit poverty spec.

Associate
Be very, very, very careful about it, if it has a sunroof.

My wife's clio gets about 3 inch of water in the rear footwell every time it rains.
Been told it's a major problem on them.

Associate
chrislusty said:
We have this probelm too, but it only drips in every now and again, is there a fix for it?

I'm trying to find out.
I've sealed everything apart from actually sealing it shut, which I'm very close to doing.

I've also been told that they often leak through the arial too.

It only started when I wanted to sell it. grrrrr. :mad:

Associate
Plenty of scope for a Mk2 Ph1 for £2.5k, what size engine you thinking of?

Sunroofs on the Mk2 are generally ok have only heard of a few leaking and its quite rare for them to do so, on the Mk1 though they all tend to leak due to blocked drainage holes or just because they want to :confused:.

Bonnet catch is due to them being made of plastic on the Mk2 Ph1 and when they dry out due to lack of lubrication they stick open. Drop of oil on it say everytime you change the oil and it should be fine.

Soldato
Got a 1.4RT (98-2001) version and for two years its been essentially faultless (car won't start tomorrow now ;) ). The only visits to the garage, other than two cleared MOT's was to rectify the dodgy under seat airbag soldering, triggering a scary warning light. And for a little widget which triggered the coolant warning light.

Sun roof has been fine for me btw.

Soldato
Simple enough to work on, cheap ish to run/insure/tax and all things considered much better than a corsa or punto imho. I kind of like the dci's, the 1.2 petrol is probably best avoided though (it's flat even for a 1.2), the 1.4 will be better if you plan on doing any longer trips or one of the dci's if you fancy moving over to the dark side.

Sunroof issues (if you are unlucky enough to have the issue) have a simple fiz...it's the same as the Landrover sunroof 'fix'.... Gaffer tape :)

Back
Top Bottom