Cloning a laptop spin drive to SSD replacement drive

Soldato
Hi all
Thinking about upgrading my dad's laptop to SSD.
Done this before with desktop PC's so I'm comfortable with the cloning aspect however will I need an internal bracket for the SSD drive on a laptop? Guessing it's existing spin drive is bigger. Or are the small form factor laptop HDD's the same size as an SSD?
Guessing I'll need an SSD external caddy or USB cable to do the clone?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all
Thinking about upgrading my dad's laptop to SSD.
Done this before with desktop PC's so I'm comfortable with the cloning aspect however will I need an internal bracket for the SSD drive on a laptop? Guessing it's existing spin drive is bigger. Or are the small form factor laptop HDD's the same size as an SSD?
Guessing I'll need an SSD external caddy or USB cable to do the clone?

Thanks
Yup, same size, it should use the same mounting so long as it's not an ancient laptop that doesn't use a SATA connection. It usually just involves a couple of screws.

As for cloning, yeah a caddy is needed. Well the connector is needed, whether in a case or not.

I have to say because of inbuilt manufacturer partitions on my GF's laptop I used Acronis Trueimage because it was getting a tad annoying.

It came free with an SSD but meant I could hook the old and new drive up to my desktop and clone, it was a doddle and worked perfectly.

Caporegime
If you have an external USB HDD, you could create an image on that from the existing drive and then put the SSD in and restore from the image.

I use Macrium Reflect.

Soldato
OP
Cool thanks.
Might as well get a caddy so the old drive can be retired to backup/portable drive duty afterwards..

It's a reasonably modern laptop sandy bridge celeron with 8gb ddr3 so an SSD should really bring it up to speed.

Soldato
OP
Moving from HDD to SSD several years ago will be a day that stays in my memory, it really is night and day.

Thanks, yeh I'm well aware .. My dad's insisting on buying a new laptop because it's 'slow' and I know damn well why it's slow .. It's running a a slow 5400 speed laptop drive..I've cleaned it up and it's the hard drive that's slow. Lol parents.

Soldato
Thanks, yeh I'm well aware .. My dad's insisting on buying a new laptop because it's 'slow' and I know damn well why it's slow .. It's running a a slow 5400 speed laptop drive..I've cleaned it up and it's the hard drive that's slow. Lol parents.

My Dad wanted a new laptop, his was getting quite old so fair enough, but I'd put an SSD in his old machine. He had a hard time believing a new laptop with a HDD would be slower than his 7 year old laptop. An SSD is essential in anything these days.

Back
Top Bottom