Clutch dead (MK4 Golf 20vt). Likely cost? Worth upgrading? What needs replacing?

Soldato
OP
They wanted about 800 quid for clutch and flywheel and that was converting to single mass stuff! Jokers.

Clutch alone would probably be that much... but dual mass flywheel at 133k, not worth taking a chance by not swapping :)

So, swapping the lot for a very cost effective solution which'll do for the next year or so I intend to own the banger lol. Should do for a lot longer of course but I won't have to worry about it when the time comes should I say.

Soldato
stormster. if they are actually doing that work, supply them with a diff seal too. get them to do that.

ill honestly be suprised if they did it tbh

Soldato
OP
It is cheap, good job I live in the middle of the Bronx, cheap labour! lol, everythings included in that price :)

I always get good deals, I had my cambelt, tensioners (including hydraulic tensioner not included in cambelt kit), waterpump, thermostat & seals, coolant flush and change, fuel filter, aux belt and labour done for £300 not long back.

Oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs done for £20 labour as I supplied the bits etc.

Don't like paying over the odds, me!

Last edited:
Soldato
£80 for a decent clutch
£50 g60 flywheel, could be a lot more
£50 for slave cyl

all bare minimum prices

5 hours work. £30 an hour. pay peanuts, get monkeys

Caporegime
if they're only charging £200 labour they must be very quick workers !!

Unless they're charging very low rates. But most indys round here charge £50/£60 an hour.

Soldato
Mr LOL

thats £100 for the clutch

then theyre allegedly sourcing a g60 flywheel, slave cyl and crank seal

i think youre blagging us or theyre pulling your leg

Soldato
OP
Just low labour rates! All they do all day every day are clutches.

A friend of mine has had the same conversion done to his golf at the same place, but provided bits himself. They charged him £70!!! labour. He used a 2nd hand G60 fly, a sachs clutch kit (£90), some bolts from VW for a tenner. Cost 230 quid all in. I wanted to lay full blame on them for parts & labour combined.

People shouldn't be so quick to assume. I've NEVER paid a lot for labour on anything, it's called shopping around and bartering. I often pay £20 an hour labour to my usual mechanic, but wanted someone to do the clutch conversion who's done plenty before. They may not use shiney immaculate workshops, but thats why they're cheap IMO, and I don't mind that if the work is good. I've had no issues since I had a load of work done with cambelt etc, and that involved taking an engine mount off, loads of boost pipes, nevermind the thermostat, hoping the coolant would hold etc lol - I expect the worst... but why pay 900 for the same thing at VW for example?

I'm no mechanic, I don't know the in's and out's of what they're doing. Just going off word of mouth and trusting them, they certainly knew what I needed on the phone.

Soon see a week on monday, if it blows up you can say you told me so :) I will call them tomorrow to ask what bits they're using. I'll guess it's around £80-100 labour.

Last edited:
Soldato
bartering. so you pay half the labour cash and then pay the rest in sweetys?

no one would ever change someones clutch for £70

whats the name of this place? or is it a mobile fella with a box of tools working from the back of a van?

more than half a days work, for £70, with over heads, it wouldnt even pay the wages

Soldato
OP
You're a positive chappy aren't you. lol, don't be patronising, it aint big and clever.

The Clutchman
Tel: 01782 286587

Unit 4, Far Green Industrial Estate, Chell St, Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire ST1 6AZ

Feel free to give him a call.

Soldato
im not being patronising, im just saying the figures dont add up. at all

the labour just isnt plausible, either that or theyre putting really mikey mouse bits on

Soldato
OP
I think it's gonna be a valeo solid flywheel and clutch kit, he mentioned a concentric (? lol) slave cylinder, and those use them... about 220 quid from euro car parts retail so I'm assuming they'll pay trade and charge approx £100 labour.

Back
Top Bottom