Coffee fans - best stock up

Caporegime
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...are-climbing-and-roasters-are-switching-beans
The world is facing a desperate shortfall of arabica coffee, the variety that gives the smoothest flavor and makes up about 60% of world production. Supplies were decimated after extreme weather destroyed crops, and with a La Nina pattern forecast through early 2022 expected to further hurt yields, it could take years for the market to recover. Arabica prices are surging to reflect the mounting crisis, while global shipping congestion is making it even harder to get beans where they are needed.

I guess there is bound to be a lag with this sort of stuff - plenty of coffee available in my local shops right now but it looks like it might be worth getting a few extra jars in now as the price is quite likely to rise a bit and/or the coffee replaced with robusta.

Man of Honour
Does it keep well across years, I presume thats how long a seasonal failure can affect pricing

I’ve been told that freshly roasted coffee beans will last 3-4 months, but I’ve no idea if it’s true.
My kid brought some instant type granules when he came over from Germany a few years ago, he said, “I know that you won’t drink it you snob, but I quite like it.”
I saw it in the cupboard earlier this year, half full, expiry date 2019!
Sorry kid, you’ll have to put up with my Jamaican Blue Mountain if the U.K. lets you in from Covid ravaged Deutschland!

Caporegime
OP
Does it keep well across years, I presume thats how long a seasonal failure can affect pricing

Depends - instant stuff fo sure, stuff bought now can go into 2023... though instant brands can be a mixture of robusta and arabica beans.

Ditto with tins of say ground coffee - I think I've got some illy tins I bought in summer 2020 which have an expiry in 2022.

Jars? You heathen

LOL fair, but sometimes I like an instant coffee too.

Man of Honour

No.

Green unroasted around 12 months if stored properly (cool, dark, vacuum sealed)
Roasted coffee is about 12 weeks, but best in first 6.
Ground coffee... minutes. The most volatile components of the coffee will disappear in minutes.

Soldato

Not really, green beans last a while but they go stale i think.

i have roasted ones several years old and tasted ok to me lol, but i wouldnt say it is a good idea at all

Can't type for toffee
Don
Aye we uses to drink instant all the time, got a b2c machine and never looked back.

Had instant a little while back and thought me mam had accidentally used gravy xD nescafe gold apparantly

Last edited:
Soldato
Grabbed a few more bags for the new year period to see me through winter - Just 4 kilos though nothing mad!

Also trying out Grind to see what that's like - will cancel if their beans are rubbish - lately I've been swearing by Owens Organic from Devon!

Back
Top Bottom