• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

coffee lake i5 8400/8600k or ryzen 1600?

Soldato
Probably because it very high 1080p and using fxaa.

I don't have the game yet I been waiting until I get a good enough system to play it, going to grab the 8400 gta and a 1070 when I get paid.

i really hope gta does look better than that I been waiting for ages and that looks like saints row.

You're bang on. GTA looks awful with FXAA on. It's an MSAA x4 game, at 1080p anyway. He also left Reflection MSAA off when one of the great things about the game is the reflection quality. Unfortunately due to environment lighting depending on in-game weather, it does have a dreary look at times. Other times looks great. Some sunsets are amazing. And when it snows it's gorgeous, if only for a few days around new year.

Soldato
Ive had the fx6300 about 3 years but only really played games like wow untill recently and have decided to sell my PS4 and get into PC gaming.

I've not got many plans to change it unless I heavily get involved in PC gaming through the winter. Not sure what the logical next step is.

I only said 1080p as I'm certain my monitor isn't 4k and I don't have the budget to change it just yet.

With budget in mind I'd like to get as much bang for my buck. I'd like to keep sub 400 or close to for cpu ram and Mobo. I also need a new case!

Well given your budget of £400, and owning to needing a new case as well, then you have roughly £350 to get the rest of your components. The main sticking point presently is the cost of RAM, due to worldwide shortages of DRAM, memory prices have gone up significantly in the last year, and you can expect to pay around £140-150 for 16GB (2x 8GB) of DDR4 RAM, which doesn't leave you much room for the rest, so you'll be forced to settle for 8GB only for now. You've got one of two choices, buy 2x 4GB sticks and have the ability to run with dual channel memory, or buy a single 8GB stick with slightly less performance and add a second stick when you have the funds to do so.

So, buying 8GB is going to leave you with £270 for the board and CPU which is plenty, and lots of choice. I don't think there is a huge need to upgrade the graphics card for now, if you are running at 1080p/60Hz, the 780Ti performance sits between a GTX 1050Ti and A GTX 1060 3GB, so to get any upgrade you'd be looking at spending £250+.

If you don't need any fancy features, and RGB lighting etc. then I'd be looking at the cheapest board you can find that supports 4 RAM slots (if you chose to go 2x 4GB first), in the case of a choosing a Ryzen CPU, then you'd be looking at the £80ish B350 offerings from ASRock/Asus/MSI/Gigabyte none of them are terrible, none of them are particularly great, but they will all get job done, and allow you to overclock the CPU as well, should you want to. Again, taking the view of keeping it for three years+, then an R5 1600 (£180) is probably a good choice, as I would imagine that newer games coming out in the next few years will really start to make use of the 6c/12t CPU's and it may allow you to keep the system longer.

You could also try the Intel option if you so desire, it'll cost you more, £110 for the board, and £180 for the i5-8400, but may offer a slight edge in performance, in certain games, especially if you intend not to overclock the R5 1600. Obviously it will put you slightly over budget, and you won't get the full benefit of it with your current GPU, but should you get something as fast as a 1080 Ti in the next couple of years it would hold up slightly better (in today's titles) getting more FPS for you. Can't tell what it will fair like against a CPU with more available threads, but I doubt there will be much in it, and I am sure both options will satisfy the 60Hz requirement of your current screen.

Either choice you make won't be a bad one, and both options have draw backs and benefits, the next big upgrade cycle will be 2020 when you will have had this just over 2 years, and if you are still in to PC gaming, then maybe you might have a harder choice to make, with a bigger budget. For now, flip a coin, or just stick inside your budget, save some of the remainder for more RAM, or a nicer case (especially if you have to look at it), as long as you get to enjoy your games, I am sure you'll end up happy. :)

Soldato
what would you recommend for the 8400?
Nothing.

is a dumb CPU and it's speeds aren't guaranteed. The only promised speed is 2.8Ghz. Anything extra depends a lot of factors and Intel is washing their hands on this.

Get the 1600X with a good B350 board and fastest ram module the mobo supports, and overclock it if you want knew or 6700K if you want used.

Associate
OP
Well given your budget of £400, and owning to needing a new case as well, then you have roughly £350 to get the rest of your components. The main sticking point presently is the cost of RAM, due to worldwide shortages of DRAM, memory prices have gone up significantly in the last year, and you can expect to pay around £140-150 for 16GB (2x 8GB) of DDR4 RAM, which doesn't leave you much room for the rest, so you'll be forced to settle for 8GB only for now. You've got one of two choices, buy 2x 4GB sticks and have the ability to run with dual channel memory, or buy a single 8GB stick with slightly less performance and add a second stick when you have the funds to do so.

So, buying 8GB is going to leave you with £270 for the board and CPU which is plenty, and lots of choice. I don't think there is a huge need to upgrade the graphics card for now, if you are running at 1080p/60Hz, the 780Ti performance sits between a GTX 1050Ti and A GTX 1060 3GB, so to get any upgrade you'd be looking at spending £250+.

If you don't need any fancy features, and RGB lighting etc. then I'd be looking at the cheapest board you can find that supports 4 RAM slots (if you chose to go 2x 4GB first), in the case of a choosing a Ryzen CPU, then you'd be looking at the £80ish B350 offerings from ASRock/Asus/MSI/Gigabyte none of them are terrible, none of them are particularly great, but they will all get job done, and allow you to overclock the CPU as well, should you want to. Again, taking the view of keeping it for three years+, then an R5 1600 (£180) is probably a good choice, as I would imagine that newer games coming out in the next few years will really start to make use of the 6c/12t CPU's and it may allow you to keep the system longer.

You could also try the Intel option if you so desire, it'll cost you more, £110 for the board, and £180 for the i5-8400, but may offer a slight edge in performance, in certain games, especially if you intend not to overclock the R5 1600. Obviously it will put you slightly over budget, and you won't get the full benefit of it with your current GPU, but should you get something as fast as a 1080 Ti in the next couple of years it would hold up slightly better (in today's titles) getting more FPS for you. Can't tell what it will fair like against a CPU with more available threads, but I doubt there will be much in it, and I am sure both options will satisfy the 60Hz requirement of your current screen.

Either choice you make won't be a bad one, and both options have draw backs and benefits, the next big upgrade cycle will be 2020 when you will have had this just over 2 years, and if you are still in to PC gaming, then maybe you might have a harder choice to make, with a bigger budget. For now, flip a coin, or just stick inside your budget, save some of the remainder for more RAM, or a nicer case (especially if you have to look at it), as long as you get to enjoy your games, I am sure you'll end up happy. :)

Thanks you that has actually really helped. I didnt realise there was such a Intel / AMD war!

is there a older style intel i could possibly use if the speeds on the 8400 aren't guaranteed? could that save me some money and not bottle neck me in the future if i upgrade my cpu?

Could i still get reasonable money for my zotac 780ti?

Soldato
what about the I3 8350k? i know its only 4 core but could it be useful?

Maybe something like this?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pre-...ocket-lga1151-processor-4.9ghz-cp-646-in.html

no 100% sure what pre binned means?

Just look for benchmarks and make your mind up from that. Most of the people in here recommending ryzen don't even own one themselves. And No, the 8400 won't run at 2.8ghz in normal use, we've already seen them boosting to 3.8ghz on all cores whilst gaming. 2.8ghz will be the absolute worst case scenario using heavy loads of avx and have poor cooling.

Soldato
Thanks you that has actually really helped. I didnt realise there was such a Intel / AMD war!

is there a older style intel i could possibly use if the speeds on the 8400 aren't guaranteed? could that save me some money and not bottle neck me in the future if i upgrade my cpu?

Could i still get reasonable money for my zotac 780ti?

Yes, people get very polarised over these issues and rather than try and assist, just go off on a tangent, as you have seen.

I'd say that if you were going Intel, even with the current bashing that the i5-8400 is getting, it will still offer better value than the 8350K you linked below, and pre-binned means tested to work at a certain overclock. If you were going to try and save some cash, just grab the I3-8100 quad core for £109, but then you are spending the same again on the board, so for a value for money point of view it becomes less appealing.

You could go with a Ryzen R3 1200, they should be around £85-90 most places, this can still be overclocked in a B350 board if you so desire, that opens you up to a nice drop in upgrade a little way down the line, and you'll have spent about ~£160, on the motherboard and CPU combo. In this instance the AMD platform makes sense if you plan on changing the CPU sooner, rather than later, as they should be supported for 2-3 years from now on the same motherboard. Yes, the Ryzen will be slower in games than the i3-8100 if not overclocked, but most of them will run at 3.7GHz with no issue, just a couple of tweaks in the BIOS.

Your 780Ti, well I am sure it's got to be worth at least £100, but you'll then end up having to spend £200 more on top to get a faster card, I would hang on to it until Nvidia/AMD release their next generation cards next year, as you should find the current £350 performance, drops to the £200 price bracket, and will give you a great big uplift in performance.

Which ever choice you make, the FX6300 will be most certainly stomped, and there will always be a way of adding to the system to make it last longer, regardless of which path you take. :)

what about the I3 8350k? i know its only 4 core but could it be useful?

Maybe something like this?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pre-...ocket-lga1151-processor-4.9ghz-cp-646-in.html

no 100% sure what pre binned means?

Associate
Since you mention that you want to play a lot of Destiny 2 and PUBG, I recommend going Intel over AMD as their CPUs perform better in these games at 1080p.

Also, how long do you intend to keep this new setup for?

Associate
OP
Just look for benchmarks and make your mind up from that. Most of the people in here recommending ryzen don't even own one themselves. And No, the 8400 won't run at 2.8ghz in normal use, we've already seen them boosting to 3.8ghz on all cores whilst gaming. 2.8ghz will be the absolute worst case scenario using heavy loads of avx and have poor cooling.

i think this will be the way i go.

Thanks for your help Gavin

Associate
OP
Since you mention that you want to play a lot of Destiny 2 and PUBG, I recommend going Intel over AMD as their CPUs perform better in these games at 1080p.

Also, how long do you intend to keep this new setup for?

Maybe a few years im not big into gaming hence why i don't want to spend fortunes to not use it 6 months later. just getting bang for my buck

Soldato
could people link definitive MOBO, CPU and RAM combos?

an odd 40-50 over budget isnt the end of the world.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £488.46
(includes shipping: £10.50)

There's a start for you. I've done it with 16GB though.

Back
Top Bottom