• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

coffee lake i5 8400/8600k or ryzen 1600?

Permabanned
Like getting ram to run at rate for example? :)
Ibdeed i speced my mate 1600 build. He can but it together but bios is wizardry for him. Long story short he assembled it selected 3200cl16 xmp that hes ddrs are rated at and ... Not had a single bsod or problems. Thing is stock 1600 boosts ONE CORE to 3700 and rest is like 3400. And stick volts are well You know how those are haha.

Soldato
I don't think there is a list available, nor have I seen that advertised on the specs for the boards.
However, the Z boards atm all seem to have the same features. The people kicking off is just because asus has it enabled by default.

Ok cool thanks I just wanted to double check I could just get the cheapest z board.

Associate
Nope. 3.8Ghz is 1 core speed. The rest are as good as 2.8 only. The great unknown lottery.

Get a 1600 and OC. Is 6/12 not 6/6 with dice rolling speeds.
Where did you read that only 1 core gets to 3.8? As every person I've seen report their 8400 speeds get 3.8ghz on all 6 cores, some even with MCE disabled.

Genuinely interested if you have evidence for this 3.8ghz on 1 core claim. And by evidence I mean people who actually own an i5-8400 confirming what you're saying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope. 3.8Ghz is 1 core speed. The rest are as good as 2.8 only. The great unknown lottery.

Get a 1600 and OC. Is 6/12 not 6/6 with dice rolling speeds.

4.0GHz on one core, 3.9GHz with 2-4 cores loaded, and 3.8GHz with all six cores loaded

You well wrong

Soldato
Ah more bs being spread by people that don't own the product.
I need a new home where the members are not using some YouTube shills words as gospel.

There is zero evidence that shows the 8400 only running at 2.8ghz.

Soldato
But when have locked CPUs ever been a lottery?

I suppose technically if your CPU was high VID it could find it harder to boost than a lower VID CPU - not sure how much difference it makes in the end,and it would need to be tested out,as another factor with locked CPU is the enforced TDP rating. Technically speaking the TDP should be covering a reasonable worse case scenario too.

Realistically this is something which does need to be tested more with AMD and Intel CPUs,as for GPUs there has been a reasonable amount of testing to check variance between samples. IIRC,when Nvidia first introduced boosting for desktop GPUs with the GTX680,Hardware.fr did test some retail samples,and it was around 5% on average for the same model,and AFAIK when it comes to GPU testing websites have been know to try do things like preheat cards before tests to make sure the boost evens out on both AMD and Nvidia cards, as first generation boost mechanisms could sometimes over egg themselves and lead to weird results. IIRC,as it got refined though it looks to become more reliable on the GPU side now.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah more bs being spread by people that don't own the product.
I need a new home where the members are not using some YouTube shills words as gospel.

There is zero evidence that shows the 8400 only running at 2.8ghz.

It's bizarre to learn that some die-hard defenders of a CPU or manufacturer currently don't actually own them and have no experience of using them. Just, weird. Essentially their points are all based on someone else's numbers that they want to agree with.

Permabanned
It's bizarre to learn that some die-hard defenders of a CPU or manufacturer currently don't actually own them and have no experience of using them. Just, weird. Essentially their points are all based on someone else's numbers that they want to agree with.
Not really. I don't need to own a Ryzen to know what it is capable of, it's been out for 7 months now, so much is known about it's strengths and weaknesses. On the contrary I don't need to own a 8700k to know that it clocks higher, has better single core performance and in general is a faster gaming cpu.

I'm not quite sure I understand where you are coming from. Are all those that don't own a certain piece of technology therefore forbidden to talk about it? That's weird and this forum would be quite strange and empty place if that were to happen.

Regardless we have two manufactures of cpu's and depending on your particular needs will determine what is more suitable. Not everyone needs to chase numbers.

Associate
Not really. I don't need to own a Ryzen to know what it is capable of, it's been out for 7 months now, so much is known about it's strengths and weaknesses. On the contrary I don't need to own a 8700k to know that it clocks higher, has better single core performance and in general is a faster gaming cpu.

I'm not quite sure I understand where you are coming from. Are all those that don't own a certain piece of technology therefore forbidden to talk about it? That's weird and this forum would be quite strange and empty place if that were to happen.

Regardless we have two manufactures of cpu's and depending on your particular needs will determine what is more suitable. Not everyone needs to chase numbers.

Where did I say it was forbidden to talk about it? My point concerns people proclaiming stuff as fact which is very different. I could have a discussion with you based on some reviews and benchmarks we had read but I don't think either of us, if we were being reasonable, would proclaim "blah" as fact without some experience first. How could we based on someone else's usage? We get an idea, but that is not what goes on around here. In reality we don't really know what Ryzen is capable of until we use it. Research can only take you so far as some people even on this forum have discovered.

Back
Top Bottom