• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

coil whine 7970

Associate
Hey ive just installed my new Sapphire 7970 oc {purchased from overclockers 09/04/201 } tonight ready for a gaming session but ive an awful coil whine coming from the GPU.
Is my best option to RMA the card and get a replacement or a different brand

Also the price of the Sapphire 7970 OC has dropped by €40 will i be refunded the full price i paid for it or the new price?

Really unhappy about this as its a pretty expensive card.

any help appreciated guys

Associate
OP
MB is a Gigabyte P55-UD5
PSU Corsair HX750
GPU was an XFX 5850 BLACK
no issues with them at all
only whines when playing games the second i go into menus or quit the games it stops.
i dont use headphones

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

My 7970 has very slight coil whine.

Overly loud whine would be grounds for an RMA imo.

Also the price of the Sapphire 7970 OC has dropped by €40 will i be refunded the full price i paid for it or the new price?

Whatever you paid. If they give you a replacement card though you won't get the difference ;)

Soldato
will ring today for an rma
the whine is to loud to play games

Would be interesting to see if it still does it when you get your replacement. I've had coil whine in the past with a new GPU which turned out to be a failing PSU. Replacing the PSU and the coil whine went. Some people also think its the PCI-E cables.

Caporegime
Coil whine seems to be one of those things that isn't always accepted as the reason for a successful RMA.

Either it's not accepted as a "fault" or perhaps it can't be reproduced.

Maybe it isn't even coming from the graphics card.

If it was bought mail order you can send it back under the Distance Selling Regulations for a full refund of the price you paid.

It'll cost you a few quid for postage but you're guaranteed to get all your money back.

You can then buy another HD 7970 if you wish at the reduced prices.

Caporegime
well i rang overclockers and they have issued me an RMA
i put my 5850 back in and no whine at all so must be graphics card.

I hope you get it replaced or refunded as faulty.

I'd have still sent it back using the DSR.

For the price of a few quid postage you would have been guaranteed all your money back.

Associate
OP
Well guys just got my 7970 card today. Problem with shipping from England to Ireland is what overclockers told me but and its a big BUT
this card not only has coil whine but also one of the fans is loose and making an awful rattle
To say im disappointed is an understatement.
think i will just get a refund and buy the
ASUS DirectCU II i believe has a custom PCB is this a better option to go for??
Really peeded off as this is an expensive card
havent got the chance to stretch its legs yet.

Soldato
My Gtx 480 whines like a bitch on some stress tests, most cards do just normal I thought! ;)

Should`nt really do with games but I never hear if am gaming or is it really that loud?

Associate
My PSU squeals like a piggy after I've turned off my PC, only way to stop it is to flip the switch on the PSU and repeatedly press the power button on the case to drain the power in the coils... Really annoying from a £200 PSU

@OP hope you get it sorted bud, Coil whine can drive you crazy (if it hasn't already).

Back
Top Bottom