"Come meet a black person"

Soldato
He/she has to be joking.

A statement like that suggest ALL white people are well off and have no issues out there..... Which is complete and utter nonsense lol.

Nope.... He/she was just being sarcastic.

Soldato
He/she has to be joking.

A statement like that suggest ALL white people are well off and have no issues out there..... Which is complete and utter nonsense lol.

Nope.... He/she was just being sarcastic.

Yeah I thought that was obvious... lol

But I agree with the sentiments above, no body should have to be responsible for the actions of their predecessors. You had no choice being born black/white/gay/straight/woman/man, likewise children don't have a choice being born to people who have done bad things. So alluding to what ancestors did is absolute nonsense, I am not sorry for anything that 'white men' did, I'm only sorry for my own actions which I deem worthy of apology. I really do think the world would be better if everyone was blind... although then I'm sure we'd start discriminating based on feel and smell...

Soldato
I have often pondered that there might actually be more effective racial segregation in the US today than there was in the 1950's

Think about this, very carefully, for just a moment....

What, exactly, does a sign on the Bus stating "Blacks to the Back" actually tell you about the nature and extent of racial segregation?

It tells me that racism is enforced by the law. This is different from being enforced by the people - not always the same thing. Under Jim Crow laws restaurants had to provide segregated areas with a visual barrier to conceal Black patrons, or else were not allowed to serve Blacks at all. Many restaurant owners - who wanted to serve everybody who could pay - hated this law which hindered their business. As well, Whites who were against these laws (and there were many) would also prefer a restaurant that broke the law and didn't segregate over the restaurants that did. New York had "Shine bars" for Black people and plenty of White people liked to go along to them. Same way bars in Prohibition weren't supposed to serve alcohol but there were plenty of Speak-Easies that did. Don't get me wrong - there was lots of racism but think it through - you wouldn't NEED Jim Crow laws telling restaurants where to seat people or to put up a wall if that's what the owners wanted to do. The laws were needed because many restaurant or bar owners DIDN'T want to do it.

I don't think racism is as bad in the USA today as it was back then. But I think anti-racism campaigners are intellectually worse. Martin Luther King's dream was that people would be treated the same without regard to the colour of their skin. There are a lot of "anti-racists" today who believe races should be treated differently and naturally divided as different cultures.

Permabanned
I like the part where people think that hundreds of years of oppression gets undone in a matter of decades without everyone even buying into it

Well Germany got forgiven for the Holocaust in a few decades which is certainly in the same vein. I'm not sure why it should be one rule for one and another rule for another.

Caporegime
Well Germany got forgiven for the Holocaust in a few decades which is certainly in the same vein. I'm not sure why it should be one rule for one and another rule for another.
The Germans would be the first to want to ensure that nothing like the holocaust happens again and would do their level best to prevent it, which is all I’m asking to be done with regards to modern race relations.

Back
Top Bottom