Comfy 4*4 - BMW / Porsche / others recommended?

Associate
Hi,

Looking for a 4*4 for the size and practicality rather than having 4wd itself.

Current contenders
BMW X5, possibly including the 4.4 V8
Cayenne, possibly including the Turbo

Any others worth considering such as:
Kia?
Hyundai
Ford Kuga
Nissan Qashqai - So popular nervous about depreciation
Toyota Rav4
Honda CRV - Possibly a touch boring?

Budget around £6-12K

Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Doesn't this rather depend on your budget and finances?

If you've got £8k and want a proper wicked 4x4 innit then you'd probably be best sticking with something like a Honda.

If you've got £40k then go for an XDrive50i or a Cayenne Turbo and don't waste your time looking at Kia's.

I suspect this thread will be somewhat amusing, I mean who really has a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and a Nissan Qashqai on the same shortlist other than somebody who has absolutely no idea what they are letting themselves in for? It's a bit like asking whether you should buy a Porsche 911 Turbo or a 3 door Fiesta Zetec. Nobody actually asks that, surely?

Soldato
Hi guys

I'm looking for a full size sedan.

I'm torn between the Hyundai Sonata and the Rolls-Royce Phantom Extended Wheelbase. Any advice?

FANKS

Associate
OP
I think the Range Rover is a bit too big. Appreciate the spec me part is a bit wild but not had time to do too much research hence asking here.... Keep the jokes and comments flowing, might still give an idea or two.

Man of Honour
I think the Range Rover is a bit too big

This is true. A Porsche Cayenne for example is regularly mistaken for a Fiat 500.

In all seriousness given your budget, go for something like the Honda or the Toyota. The fact the Nissan is even on the list tells me that your wants and needs are such that the BMW or Porsche would end up being a pain in the backside. Somebody for whom the massive extra cost of ownership would be worth it wouldn't even have considered the Nissan let alone put it in a shortlist.

Associate
OP
Main reason the Nissan is on the list is thst they are everywhere round here (London/Surrey) so they must be pretty good cars to be that popular.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Add a VW Touareg into the mix too, my cousin has just bought a 2004 model, and its a very nice car.Nice and roomy and its a nice feeling car inside.

Most of the ones you have listed are quite small really, prob no roomier than a mid size hatch or estate.

My bet would be the Q7, it would be at the top end of your budget, but it is a proper 7 seater and being an Audi its pretty to look at and nice inside, unlike the equivalent X5.

Man of Honour
Do you really want to spend £8k on a 10 year old car though? You get all the fun of running an old car without the benefit of it being cheap..

Associate
OP
Can't say running an old car bothers me too much, current car is 15 years old so everything else is newer :) I know all your motoring purchases are accrued / depreciated and planned on a financial basis but many of us aren't so strict and just go with what we fancy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can't say running an old car bothers me too much, current car is 15 years old so everything else is newer :)

Did you pay £8k for your current car though? Is it quite as complicated or filled with potential hassle as a 10 year old Porsche or Toureg?

Once these cars are in this bracket it's probably time to just forget them, IMHO.

Associate
OP
Paid £6.5k and it was on 100K miles+

Will have a look around a few of the above options and update once I've seen a few of them. Had a quick look at the Nissan and it looks pretty nasty on the inside.

I'm kinda in a weird situation in that I do <3K miles a year, don't need anything fancy but don't want anything too cheap and nasty, hate depreciation, have a decent budget but don't want to spend too much due to not using the car much. Also coming from a 350hp car so thinking I'll miss the power so trying to consider some faster 4x4 options. Also been too busy to research exactly what I want thus far.

Last edited:
Soldato
You mention Cayenne Turbo and X5 but then say Range Rover is too big!!

there is 186mm difference between the Porsche and the Range Rover out of a total 4972mm in length and a whopping 28mm in width difference..

I guess that extra inch makes all the difference ;)

Soldato
Also coming from a 350hp car so thinking I'll miss the power so trying to consider some faster 4x4 options. Also been too busy to research exactly what I want thus far.

X5 - 4.6is

I'm still pining for the 4.8is but having two of the gas guzzlers sat on the drive makes no ****ing sense what so ever :o :D

Back
Top Bottom