Commercial Airliners - Aerobatics?

Soldato
Not only are the wings designed to be tuff.... they are designed to be very flexable. TBH i reckon any modern aircraft could do it if you did it high enough up to allow for the huge altitude drop you would have to deal with.

If anyone happens to be a billionaire why not buy a few and try it out over the pacific or something :D

OSB

OSB

Associate
I have actually done it, in a simulator, barrel rolled a 747, very slowely. I also enjoyed trying to put one down onto Docklands doing a glide approach, it worked, but it did burst every single tire!!!

Permabanned
Scuzi said:
I've barrel rolled a BA 777-200 once and although we lost about 10,000ft in hte process, it still worked :p

When I say BA 777-200, I mean the BA 777-200 full motion simulator btw ;)

Wouldnt that break the pistions in the simulator, what with trying to turn it over and all? ;)

Man of Honour
Visage said:
Wouldnt that break the pistions in the simulator, what with trying to turn it over and all? ;)

As far as I remember it got so far into the bank, about 60 degrees IIRC and stopped whilst the screen continued. It was a very weird sensation as that particular sim is extremely convincing, it really does trick you into thinking you're in the air.

Permabanned
Scuzi said:
As far as I remember it got so far into the bank, about 60 degrees IIRC and stopped whilst the screen continued. It was a very weird sensation as that particular sim is extremely convincing, it really does trick you into thinking you're in the air.

Thats rubbish - I had visions of it breaking and the whole thing rolling out of the door.....gutted is not the word....

Man of Honour
Visage said:
Thats rubbish - I had visions of it breaking and the whole thing rolling out of the door.....gutted is not the word....

I don't think BA would have been very happy with us rolling their £25m simulator out the door :eek:

Soldato
OMG @ the triple seven , this plane just OWNZ :eek:

on topic i think i have read somwhere about a USAF pilot who i think executed a stiff climb with a large boeing, and when he landed there were several rivets missing from the airframe :D .

Last edited:
Associate
Any aircraft could do a roll, but not all would be able to maintain altitude. The big jets wings arent designed to produce enough lift upside down without breaking up and producing a lot of drag, so you could and would just drop a long way to maintain your speed to keep the aircraft rolling, but this would also reduce the loading on the wings so they wouldnt break up and make the manoeuver easily possible.

Soldato
When i was working on the flight sims at BA i had plenty of time to try different things in the sims Inc barrel rolling a 747-400, there was also a city in the states(I think it was detroit) with three sky scrappers close together which we could fly the same aircaft through on its side. Other things i acheived were flying under the golden gate bridge in a 400 and best of all in the 737-400 sim you could put one throttle on full power and the other on full reverse thrust you would end up with the displayed landscape doing a made gyroscopic type twisting. Never did any of the fun stuff with the platform motion on although as Scuzi has said it does limit itself so as to not exceed the build tolerances.

A couple of years before I joined them(1993) while putting a sim through a reboot and computer test it did exceed its limits and it was either two or three rams that broke free. The sim was thrown onto its back still bucking and squirting the hydraulic fluid everywhwere, they still had buckets hanging from the ceiling while i was there although the unit had been replaced/repaired.

Man of Honour
Having been on a few test flights after major structural work you would be very suprised at what an airliner could do.... mainly the old 737's (Britannia Airways was the first company to actually rebuild one away from Boeing) but by golly they can be thrown about a bit, a LOT stronger than most people think

Caporegime
IainB said:
Having been on a few test flights after major structural work you would be very suprised at what an airliner could do.... mainly the old 737's (Britannia Airways was the first company to actually rebuild one away from Boeing) but by golly they can be thrown about a bit, a LOT stronger than most people think

Hmm gonna break my own rule here as I never normally post in aircraft threads as it's work. :(

You may well be able to barrel roll a 747 or 777 sim but you wont be able to do it in the full aircraft. They build the sims to train pilots. Not to worry about stresses from a barrel roll. Sure as people have said they have decent enough tolerances for being chucked about but weight is king in aircaft economics. The dont build in extra strength for a barrell roll.

The upgoing wing would stall way before you had any chance of smoothly rolling it. If by some miracle you did manage it, it would come to pieces around you. If the wing didnt break off the tail would.

IIRC a A320 was lost when they lost the screens, they tried to fly with back up ADI which was intermittently sticking, they rolled over much further than the computers would normally allow and it broke up. The wings are built dihedral for maximum stabilty and lift, the wing camber is not built to go upside down.

The extra strength needed to build a wing strong enough to roll with two engines on it or a massive trent, just aint happening. Not to mention the change in angle of attack of the air going through the engine.

Feel free to try it in a sim but thats not the same.

Soldato
I would have thought the wings would break off.

Surely they would be braced in only one direction for the complete weight of the plane and nothing more due to weight cuts? Although I guess the turns require both upwards and downwards bracing.

No idea tbh.. just waffle ^_^

Back
Top Bottom